The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrDoRight

Totem poles.. Has anybody carved one before ?

There is a bunch of western red cedar trees in the surrounding forest and I was thinking of carving a totem pole , has anybody else gotten into woodcarving ? This would be the first item I've ever carved but I have a bunch if designs drawn on paper

I spent countless hours with the chain saw carving a giant tiki pole from an old euc....burnt it a bit (charcoaled) to preserve & colour it...used some coloured marbles for eyes....& some stained glass for a hat..................she weighs a ton 300 - 400mm wide at base, maybe 6 to 8 m long....problem is I can't figure out how to erect it...tried pulling it up with the tractor ...but the wheels just spun....its euc niten ...so not a good choice in that it will rot under ground....was going to sit it on a rock & tie it off to some cabbage trees...........may have to set some trusses up next to it & try winching it up..........its a few years old..slowly getting there...

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 3

^ any pics? :) . You could tar the part of the pole before it goes in the ground?! To erect it, you could dig the hole its going in underneath the end thats going to be under ground, and then use a winch like you suggested. and it might slide and drop into place. Dunno. i can imagine it does weigh a ton, lol, so be careful with any method you try. :)

I would also like to carve a totem pole one day. I was thinking an arbortech would be a good tool for the job?!

• Like 1