The Corroboree
Burleyman

What is everyones favourite/prefferred filter

Yeah definitely!! I think i would steer clear for the both of them...

They have tyvek sheets for sale on ebay called "home wrap" or "ground sheet". They are not too thin but I usually use two layers just in case. They are kind of stiff at first but soften up once they go through the pressure cooker. They mostly come from the US but arrive quickly. They are super cheap and work very well and can be reused.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=tyvek+ground+sheet&LH_PrefLoc=2&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3Dtyvek%2Bground%2Bsheet%26_arr%3D1

Edit: I don't cut them into disks. Just put two square pieces over the top of the jar and put the lid on or tie down with a rubber band and put tinfoil over it. Hardly have any problems.

Edited by emcat
  • Like 1

When i use micropore tape as a filter it gets wet in the pc, could contams get in once i take the foil off to innoc. Dont really have a bad ratio for contams, sure as hell not perfect though, cheers

You can get tyvek overalls from Bunnings fairly cheap, around $10... it should be enough tyvek to last you years and years!

Do you cover your jar lids with foil before pressure cooker? condensation dropping down from the top of the PC often gets filters wet.

• Like 1

I haven't tried the overalls. They seem to be a much looser woven material and also have a more cloth-like texture. The ground sheets are really crisp in comparison - sort of like a thick plasticy paper. I'd be interested to try the overalls and see if they work as well.

I cover with foil when I PC to stop excess water getting into the jars and also to make sure the foil (which I basically use as a lid) is sterilised too. But I don't worry about the tyvek getting wet. I figure it'll get damp in the PC regardless. Also it seems to dry really quickly and I've had very few contams. I just put in a bunch of jars with tyvek which I'd just washed so it was quite wet. Will let you know how it goes.

From years of experience the tyvek overalls work a charm however they are a bit more fragile to tearing but i've never had any issues. Yeh a big thign that alot of people fuck up is opening the pressure cooker to soon which fucks ya jars, disrupts moisture content and saturates your filters, also sucks in contams from the outside environment covering the exterior of your jars in contams.

• Like 1