The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sascacheuan

psycho0 cuttings in Europe.

I want to get a cuttings of the famous tricho strain psycho0. I know that many australians grow this awesome strain, but I prefer to get a cutting from someone from Europe. I afraid a long travell can hurts the cuttings or something.

Thanks!!.

I'd be worried abut quarantine more than anything. A tricho cutting could be delayed in the postal system for months in a box somewhere and still be fine. They're not what I would call delicate snowflakes... :P

But if your country's quarantine laws are even half as tough as Australia's I'd be tempted not to bother, at least from what I hear (never tried bringing live plants in or anything)

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

Times are pretty bad huh!!! Lol.

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 2

How do we know if ASIO is monitoring us? HAHAHAHA

Aaaah, lol.

Edited by in_spirit

I know a tricho cutting could survive a long trip, but it weights so much and an mailing is expensive too. I have received seeds and plants from many different countries around world without any problem. My country has "good" customs.

You don't need it to be a big cutting /pup, in reality 2-3 inches will survive.

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 1

^^ in my experience small cuts often really struggle though and take much longer to root (if they do at all) when you try to plant them out. It has to do with the amount of water and nutrients they can keep on board I believe...with smaller cuttings they may not have the necessary resources to throw out vigorous roots.

And the thickness seems to matter as well - it seems to be about the ratio of length to the width rather than any one value for either. I find that thinner specimens can be a bit shorter without too many problems (maybe 15-20cm) but if you try that with a thicker cactus it will be too short. You have to scale the same ratio up pretty much is what I found - you want a good 30cm or so in length with a standard diameter cutting. I'd say 30cm minimum for everything to be safe but you could probably get away with 20-25cm if it's a thinner cutting. Less than that I've always found to be more trouble than it's worth.

• Like 1

And as for the original question regarding whether psycho0 is in Europe - anyone's guess is as good as mine. Although my guess is that it probably isn't in Europe.

And hey, if your quarantine will let you get live plants in without problem, it could well be worth the expense of getting a cutting shipped to you. Psycho0 is a damn cool specimen...I know there's more than a few American clones that SABers in oz would pay an arm and a leg to ship over here if they thought they'd clear quarantine.

If you still don't wanna fork out for it though - grab yourself some hybrid Psycho0 seeds from somewhere - a cross between Psycho0 and some other cactus. There are a few crosses around, and most I've heard of tend to have a similar reputation for quick growth?

• Like 1

Hi. I have sowing Super pedro x psycho0 this year. I pay a Lot of money for Sending money to Oz and seeds to germany. And have very Bad germination. But now i have two very cool grafted plants with pups on pereskiopsis.

If you want to have one pup? Send me your left leg.

Joke. Where Do you live?

• Like 1

I live in Europe like you :P. My country I tell you by pm. Good new you have psycho0 genetics!!

I have a couple small J3 X Psych0 pups, and one small pup of my short spined 'Adriatic' clone of P0 X SuperPedro if you're interested.

gallery_13452_777_118724.jpg

('Adriatic' mother plant)

I'm from the EU btw.

• Like 1