The Corroboree
lindsay

looking for spiral dowels

anyone here know were I could source spiral dowels from?

looking for a 1000 or so.

Edited by lindsay
  • Like 1

ive seen some on amazon before but i gather postage would be a bit pricey coming from overseas

Not common at all in Australian wood/timber trades, we generally use plain or fluted dowels or biscuits on a lot of panels now. I could never find spiral cut dowel rods or dowels. Remember wood /timber is not usually quarantine friendly, unless going through entry treatments ( = $cost).

They can be made on a bandsaw if you are good on the tools. You'll need a tilting table though and mitre guard/custom jig. Guard/jig controls the depth of cut, tilt the table down from the teeth (easier to spin rod), then wind the rod back to get the spiral.

Get it jigged up right and it doesnt' take long to smash the rods out, then cut em up :wink:

could also use a lathe, but there is more mad skills to pull that one off without breaking the dowel rod.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

importing wood dowels would have customs jumping up and down, and treatment would

mean chemicals. I think I will go with fluted dowels.

I am looking at some Tasmanian oak, 500 for 20 bucks.

cheers everyone.

500 for $20 is a bargain :wink:

If you're on a good source I'd like a piece of that action...lol

seriously if you can get cheaper for a larger lot I am in.......

just pm the dowel supply site to you Waterboy . there supply looks low so

I didn't post here, its first in best dressed. post here, if there is any left after

you buy. 20 bucks seems a good price. this will be the first time using dowels.

I got access to a heap of poplars between 6-10 inches dia. so I am having a

crack at it with a few species.

Thanks Lindsay,

on checking them out they are fluted ones, they will kinda work but its a fine line when you are tapping them into logs.

I am gunna have to keep making them ghetto style until someone finaly does production spirals...lol...which is a pain in the arse

EDIT -I've found you can colonise suitable fluted dowels , its hit and miss after you hammer them in

the speed or even success of getting them to leap of into the sapwood. Frustrated the shit outta me.....

Edited by waterboy

Would it work just as well WB if you drilled the hole a fraction bigger than the fluted dowel? And plugged up as usual..? Or is there just not enough surface area for the myc to grab ahold of and be slot in?

I am not really sure why, I think too much damage to the myc when tappin in.

My theory is the spiral is more protective of the myc (?)

The dowel should need 3-4 light taps tops IMO.

You really want that wood contact. I've found for shiitake sawdust plug worked better than fluted, spiral was king.

Fluted ones just haven't given me the speed and consistency of sapwood myc run for shiitake

That said someone else might find a better method, i'll keep making spirals outta rods when I need them.

I tried to spiral fluted ones...but small fiddly dowels are not easy to smash out a fair number

• Like 2

I am thinking of making a jig, to drop say 6 or so dowels in and then drilling a hole

through the side of the dowels at top 1/3 to meet the cambium layer. maybe several holes?

Edited by lindsay

There was a guy selling these back in 2003 or so in Australia. Ill see if I can find his detail. If I remember they were poplar or something obscure.