The Corroboree
zed240

[wanted] Freshly cut logs for shiitake (South Aust)

Hi All,

I really wasn't sure where to put this request so apologiers if people don't like it being in this category.

I'm very keen on getting a number of freshly cut logs for creating shiitake logs. I would like logs fresh cut or no older than 2 weeks from being cut, they need to be 10cm - 25cm in diameter. Apparently it is best to use logs cut in late winter or early spring. (hence my request now)

The types of wood that would work for me are;

English oak

Red Oak

White oak

Sweet gum

Sugar gum

Alder

I'd like a few of these and am happy to pick up in South Australia. If anyone in other states can help out with just one or two logs I'd be happy to pay for postage.

Logs need to be fresh cut and without damage to the bark, preferably with a large amount of sapwood compared to heartwood if possible.

If anyone could help out I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers

Thought aside mate, there may be an opportunity to obtain some material from a local council ....

maybe if they are doing some tree works about the area, if you are unable to get material a call to the parks and recreation (or equivalent department) may get you onto more material than you need before they chip it :wink:

IMO if you can get english oak go with it....them logs last for years.

also ring around arborist business's in your area- see what they have booked in for pruning, felling, chipping.

If you offer to meet them onsite & take away logs...

The less they have to put thru their chipper, the better it is for them.

I rang a couple of arborists last year when I was looking, (unsuccessfully), and was surprised at how uninformed they were in regards to which species of trees they were cutting down. I think it will be worth ringing a few more this year and pressing them a bit harder.

It's funny you mention councils waterboy, that reminds me that a certain council in the hills here is scheduled to cut down a range of english oaks along a street this Monday that some people in the town are annoyed about and have started a petition to keep. And these oaks even reportedly have porcini that fruit at the bottom of them. So if they do end up cutting them and I can get hold of some logs it'd be nice that I can make the wood continue to create good mushrooms for years to come even if it isn't the amazing porcini. Some mushrooms are better than absolutely no mushrooms!

I've also found that most places think you're crazy when you ask for fresh logs for the purpose of gropwing mushrooms.

But I'll definitely try that council, and also some different arborists if I have no luck with the council. Still open to local people who happen to be doing some pruning though! ;)

• Like 1

Bribery! It works!

Have something to offer the people who bring you cut logs, like something simple and easy for them to use. Inoculated bags ready to fruit or grow-on etc.

If there is a crew who works regularly in your area and who know their trees it is a perfect symbiotic relationship- they'll have you on speed dial when something interesting comes up

( In the olden days, the standard practice was a case of beer, but with so many people not drinking these days, and workplace practices being weird about the presence of alcohol and heavy machinery, beer is not always the safe bet it once was )

Edited by Darklight
  • Like 1

Got a few chainsaws and a ute.

If you find some logs that need cutting etc....... then I'm happy to help.

is log is good.

• Like 2