The Corroboree
ferret

IBA improves graft success

Be aware that this paper shows the effect of IBA when used in vitro the results may not be the same ex vivo.

Edited by modern.shaman

experimenters please note the optimum concentration was pretty low, 100 ppm, or 100mg/L.

so if you have a 4g/L IBA solution, take 2.5ml of that and make up to 100ml with distilled water. you may want to PC it for 15 mins to avoid introducing pathogens, but im going to try it using fresh unopened bottles of IBA and water.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go out and say that 100 mg/L is actually a very high concentration considering that IBA is usually used at 1-2 mg/L for rooting.

I definitely find a temporary boost to the level of pupping in my cacti after a shot of IBA.

• Like 2

andy how are you applying this shot of IBA? via watering can?

I'm gonna go out and say that 100 mg/L is actually a very high concentration considering that IBA is usually used at 1-2 mg/L for rooting.

the solution I can buy off the shelf must be diluted 40 times, i think most people reading will regard this as a low concentration.

modern.shaman do you actually have anything to offer to this thread? if you are merely here to be a negatron could you at least be entertaining whilst you're at it?

do you understand how they applied the IBA treatment? I dont think they were growing the plants in PGR containing medium, in which case 100mg/L would be very high even for rooting. rather I am going to wildly assume that the IBA was applied somehow topically to the graft union, or the stock plant watered with the solution..

Yeah via a regular watering of the roots.

I should have clarified, I was using Nutriboost which has a few things in it but IBA is one of them.

just a guess...could it be mixed into lanolin?

yep it can be mixed into melted lanolin. i suppose you could smear a bit on top of the scion, and it would work it's way down through the tissues..

im putting a few seedlings on the chopping block tonight.

very fucking interesting, yes distantly related Family but should work? :scratchhead:

Artificial synthesis of interspecific chimeras between tuber mustard
(Brassica juncea) and cabbage (Brassica oleracea) and cytological
analysis

Interspecific chimeras between tuber mustard
and red cabbage were obtained by in vitro graft-culture
method. Before grafting, 6-day-old seedlings of tuber mustard
and red cabbage were vertically half-cut and treated
with different concentrations of 6-BA and NAA for 1 min,
then, they were symmetrically fit together. As a result, sectorial
chimeras were initially produced from the united
shoot tips. The maximum frequency of chimeral bud formation
reached 6.33% when the vertical sections of tuber
mustard and cabbage were treated with 2 mg/l 6-BA and
1 mg/l NAA. When sectorial chimeras were propagated on
MS medium containing 1 mg/l 6-BA, periclinal and mericlinal
chimeras gradually developed. Chimeral shoots were
rooted on half-strength MS medium containing 0.1 mg/l
NAA. The rooted chimeras were acclimatized and transferred
to the field for cytological and morphological analysis.
The results showed that stomata density in the chimeras
was significantly higher than that of their parents, while
chloroplast size, starch grain size and number were intermediate
between the two parents. The chimeras were further
analyzed by flow cytometry, and the results indicated that
they contained both sets of parental chromosomes. Moreover,
chimeral plants possessed valuable characters from
the two parents.

• Like 1

After rereading the article again it seems like the graft is actually not done invitro. This would explain the reason for the relatively high concentration of IBA used. The reason I jumped to the conclusion that it was an in vitro application was due to the mention of it in the introduction and the term 'micrografting' is usually used in tissue culture publications.

The application is most likely a foliar spray to runoff like GA3 applications are applied in greenhouses for uniform flowering throughout the nursery.

I use to have an interest in creating a chimera however after further reading it's come to my attention that NO chimera is stable and the differentiating cells 'holding' the chimera will soon outgrow one another and will cause reverted growth of a single plant. What you would want is to create true hybrids by crossing flowers and using embryo rescue techniques to help underdeveloped or incomparable seeds to grow. Protoplast fusion would also be far superior technique for a true hybrid although not a easy task for home hobbyists.

• Like 3