The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rigger

First seedlings!

Hey guys,

This is my first attempt at growing Cacti from seed. The seed was generously given to me by Incog on this forum. Thanks again for the great seeds. They are Brigessi X Pachanoi which happened to be exactly what I was after also. At the time his listed status was a 65 yo lady and I felt like prick getting 'her' to walk all the way down to the post office and send them to me!

A couple of weeks ago the pot was knocked over and stayed like that for a few days so it looks kind of banged up!

Anyway if anyone has any advice to offer on what/when I should do with them I would be interested and grateful. Otherwise I wanted to just post them up as I said on Incogs seed giveaway thread that I would but I couldn't refind it.

Sorry for the average pic! I need a new camera! Oh and yes I was a bit wasted when I planted them to preempt everyone's first question!

post-14514-0-60091000-1407647874_thumb.j

post-14514-0-60091000-1407647874_thumb.jpg

post-14514-0-60091000-1407647874_thumb.jpg

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3

shit those look pretty good mate, slowly start to harden them off at the beginning of spring by allowing them fresh air for 30minutes then 1hour then 1.30 then 2 then longer or whatever I believe.

I am no expert though but i think that's how you do it.

thanks,

yeah I took them out of the bag completely about 2 weeks ago, so might have been a bit soon but they seem pretty tough given some of the treatment they have taken so far!

If they're staying in that container then top it up with your soil mix. Up to about half way.

Cool, thanks. Ill prob leave them in there until they crowd too much.

They are pretty close together due to my poor planting / scattering but I guess I can move them if I need.

Cool, thanks. Ill prob leave them in there until they crowd too much.

They are pretty close together due to my poor planting / scattering but I guess I can move them if I need.

They should be OK for several more months - I don't transplant mine until they are very crowded

Seedlings.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome! Here was me kind of worried mine might be prickling each other!

Thanks for the pic

So, AZS

How do you tell where the SS02xKimmach end and the PCxPeru begin :wink:

• Like 1

So, AZS

How do you tell where the SS02xKimmach end and the PCxPeru begin :wink:

In the soil (under the canopy of seedlings - not seen but it is there I assure you!) rising about 1.5cm above soil level and penetrating about 2cm into the soil is a thin plastic divider that I cut from a plastic milk container. These plastic dividers make the soil and mat of seedlings just break apart like the wedges from a nice bar of chocolate! :wink: I started using this method to maximize the number and types of seedlings I could grow in the limited space under my fluorescent light fixtures - they usually grow for 4 - 6 months indoors and then go outside.

After getting the "wedges" separated for each cross, I further break the seedlings apart and put several into a "red solo cup" to grow outside for another year or so before replanting into larger nursery containers / pots etc.

• Like 3

Would love to see other peeps seedlings especially the funkoid crosses