The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Blue Foot Mushroom?

Anyone have information about these? They are at my local grocery store and I have never seen them before.

What are they supposed to be? Latin name? Picture? Ive only ever seen various Psilocybe species refered to as blue foots.

Ah, Lepista nuda, blewits. Strong taste, firm texture, quite good in stews and with venison. Way too expensive at $30 per pound tough.

Ya well all the wild mushrooms in that picture were $30/lb that includes the Chanterels, Morels, and I forget the others.

Why can they not just stick to common names or species names in super markets instead of trying to up sell things. I suppose "blue foot" is more chic.

Edited by doxneed2c-me

But chants and morels are at least two classes above blewits, IMHO.

And well, you know, the confusing and non specific nature of common names is why scientists stuck with Latin.

I will have a look at another store for these. There's one place where they sell produce which close to the end of the period they need to sell it by for $1. I got about 500g of Oysters for $1.50. Maybe I will get lucky and get some of these wild mushrooms for cheap also.

You've got porcini, morels and chanterelles there...WOW! Utterly mind blowing gourmet selection...can't believe they can all be present simultaneously!

Those blewits sure look different to Australian blewits. They've got very gnarled stypes, nothing like aussie ones.

Here's a not so great photo of some Australian ones: http://ediblemushroom.net/index.php/topic,487.msg2753.html#msg2753

• Like 2

I found what I believe was 2 lepista nuda on Saturday. They were between pines and natives on a pretty steep hill. I didn't take them home to spore print or eat. But next time I see them I certainly will!

post-13830-0-09216000-1403499488_thumb.j post-13830-0-05984000-1403499489_thumb.j post-13830-0-95028600-1403499489_thumb.j

post-13830-0-09216000-1403499488_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-05984000-1403499489_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-95028600-1403499489_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-09216000-1403499488_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-05984000-1403499489_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-95028600-1403499489_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a Cortinarius youve got there, Zed.

Thats a Cortinarius youve got there, Zed.

Really? There's people on the SA Mushroom Foragers page on FB posting pics of ones that look just like these and they're saying they're blewits, (and that they ate them). I wasn't sure about mine because of the brown-ness of the cap but theirs were too...

I m looking from my phone, so its entirely possible Im wrong, but the shape and texture of the atipe make me think Cortinarius. If you find any more, be sure to take spore prints. Blewits look very similar, but people often pick and eat a Cortinarius accidentaly, the purple ones are not toxic.

Ahh, good to know the purple corts aren't toxic if the others who ate them are wrong. I'll be sure to do a spore print and get a positive ID from some experts before I eat one of these. I always get an ID confirmation at the Shroomery for anything new I'm considering eating. I did see that the spore prints are supposed to be quite different on the blewits compared to corts so I'm sure if I find more and do a proper ID request I'll be safe. Cheers Tangich. :)

Those blewits sure look different to Australian blewits. They've got very gnarled stypes, nothing like aussie ones.

I am glad I am not the only one to think that.

I'd still initially approach those as blewits subject to print and smell (they have a unique smell IMO) Zed. That said I am generally adverse to ID any mushie not in my hand or at the least printed.

DSCF2256_zps8d71f5bd.jpg

I've have seen them referred to as "Blue-foot" in the states, but to be honest I just don't see how it fits.....

Edited by waterboy

Those store sold blewits are of the semi albino isolate I've been trying to get my hands on fir a while. Grown on compost cased.

the Sa blewit looks like a blewit to me. Been none around the hills so far but this rain might change that

Blue foots and Pied Bleu (spelling?) are interchangeable terms for both field and wood blewits (Lepista saeva/personata and Lepista nuda) - and saeva has a whiter cap and a more potent, fruity flavour. If the market picture is from europe this might also be a possibility.

But the main commercial wood blewit isolate is an albino strain from France.