The Corroboree
hostilis

Remembering water cycles for wide variety of genera

So I am just wondering about how you all remember watering schedules throughout the growth season. This question is aimed at people who have a wide variety of species/genera in their collections. I am starting to really branch out with my collection and I'm kind of worried I'll forget when I watered certain plants. I can't water all of my plants every week like I do with my trichocereus anymore.

Do any of you have a system in place to know when a plant was watered? Like calendars, planners, good old memory (which I am lacking) Or do you just water all your slow growing plants like once a month or something? Advice is much appreciated.

Mate I have had a book I religiously write everything down in and have just acquired some software which will do the same but with the addition of pretty pictures and a few extras

• Like 1

Mate I grow everything from tropicals to Mexican miniatures. I've got one of those white board calendars where I write down whats been fed and when. I also keep a book with the same kinda stuff for, well sometimes a monthly calendar doesn't cut it(plants with dormancies etc) The old memory's not what it used to be :wink:.

Edited by katu
  • Like 1

That's a great idea EG. Thanks a ton. I will have to do that.

I use that to differentiate between the different Climatic Zones because i grow a few frost hardy cacti like Opuntia and all the frost hardy Ones (down to -22° Celsius) have blue Plastic labels. Then, i also have red labels for the less frost hardy Ones (-10°) and some other colors for the other Ones. You could even use two types of signs to differentiate between the water requirements too.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

I think I'll do that. And then each color will have certain days in the month to be watered.

Group similar plants together and then automate it.
You can get timers with programmable 'zones' etc, so it shouldn't be 'too' tricky.
You can also get fancy software for PC/Mac/IOS/Android etc that you can hook up to it that will allow unlimited zones as long as you keep adding necessary the hardware.

Edited by AndyAmine.

I don't really have the money to set up an automated watering system, but it is a good idea.

I use the old squishy computer.

I just learn what plants I have and what they like :P

When two look almost alike but like different conditions I separate them and group them with distinctive groups of plants that like similar conditions.

I do use the colored tags thing for experimental plants, and I also have a bucket of old flint points I use to mark duplicates, etc.

Colored marbles might be useful.

• Like 1