The Corroboree
CLICKHEREx

Experts warn against codeine/NSAID combos

http://www.6minutes.com.au/news/latest-news/experts-warn-against-codeine-nsaid-combos

10 June, 2014

Hugo Wilcken

Experts warn against codeine/NSAID combos

An increasing number of patients are presenting with serious gastrointestinal problems due to abuse of OTC drugs combining codeine and a NSAID, say Australian surgeons.
The drugs are abused for their opioid effects but it is the NSAID in the combination that can cause non-healing gastric ulcers and other complications of the upper gastrointestinal tract, surgeons from Adelaide’s Flinders Medical Centre noted in a letter to the ANZ Journal of Surgery.
They said that in the past year they had managed five patients in chronic pain with non-healing ulcers due to unrecognised NSAID abuse, four of whom would not admit to it until confronted with positive urine tests.
Early recognition of the abuse was critical, they said, since surgery may be...

The content on this site is available to Australian Registered Health Practitioners only.
To continue reading please login or register for access.

Whats NSAID?

• Like 1

non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug. Analgesic, fever reducing or to a lesser extent anti-inflammatory. Non-narcotic. Aspirin and ibuprofen are two of the most common I can think of..

ibuprofen, (non steroidal anti inflammatory)

i'd wager the people presenting at emergency wards are taking significant quantities, also taking ranitidine can reduce the effect on the stomach and ppi's can virtually eliminate it, from what i've read.

• Like 1

I agree bot, I imagine the people presenting at emergency wards have been taking significant quantities habitually for long periods. Either that or a stupid epic dose..

Edited by katu

The peculiar thing is if they stop NSAIDs it should resolve. It may take a considerable amount of time to heal after that amubt of damage. One of my professors who had at one point worked for pharmaceutical companies said one should not take NSAIDs for longer than 7 days in a row. Phamaceutical companies have gone to great lengths to create the belief they are safe for everyday use.

• Like 1

I find it curious that they don't mention the risk of liver damage from the paracetamol-containing formulations, which seem to be much more widely used.

It's also ironic, given all the anti-opioid hysteria, that it's the non-codeine ingredients which are causing the physical damage here. And then I remember that a big part of the reason for including the NSAIDs in the first place is to deter opioid abuse! If they just let people buy pure opiates, then yes, there would be more addicts, but as none of them would require liver transplants or gastric surgery to repair damage from inadvertent NSAID abuse, it'd probably mean an overall win for the health system.

• Like 6

Anodyne, that's too logical. Much better to fuck the digestive system of other humans than to let them have fun.

• Like 2

I grew up in the wrong century cocaine.png

• Like 1

Pretty much all pharmaceutical drugs are liver toxic, period.

But we love our band-aids, and don't ask me to take responsibility for my own health because we live in the 21st century where I don't have to; big pharma has my back... :unsure:

fahk me and ive been pummeling naprox and dihydro for years! , gna have to start looking to nature even deeper

thanks for the heads up !

The peculiar thing is if they stop NSAIDs it should resolve. It may take a considerable amount of time to heal after that amubt of damage. One of my professors who had at one point worked for pharmaceutical companies said one should not take NSAIDs for longer than 7 days in a row. Phamaceutical companies have gone to great lengths to create the belief they are safe for everyday use.

hell yeah! I worked a few years at the pharma who invented ibu ... seems like its their proudest achievement ,even today ,,,,...the bastages