The Corroboree
singult

Panaeleous cyanescens in victoria??!

There's talk going on over at the shroomery atm that a user in the Hunting and Identification forum, whilst saving a turtle, may have stumbled upon some Pan cyans in the Yarra Ranges. If this is the case, YAY victoria and global warming!

Anyone on here ever found any pan cyans in southern vic, during this time of year?

Absolutely no chance.

especially at this time of the year.

Pan cyanescens if course requires the kind if temps above 20c and significant humidity.

have heard unconfirmed stories of cubensis though.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Well it could be possible if we had a very humid spring or summer via a prolonged tropical or subtropical weather system heading down.

I had a look and couldn't see the thread but the shroonery does tend to collect a little but of bs.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Well, those pictures posted on the shroomery are definitely of Panaeolus subgenus Copelandia.

Gerhardt lists Switzerland of all places under Panaeolus cyanescens locations! I've never heard of them being found anywhere in Europe, not even the far south, but I guess it's possible if he says so, and that would mean that they can be far more tolerant to cold temperatures than we think.

• Like 1

It's actually possible they are older P. subbalteatus, the stipes have a reddish tinge to them. But that species usually never bruises blue. More likely it's another Copelandia, Panaeolus bisporus for example grows in colder climates.

Either the mushrooms and the weather have gone completely mad, or the guy is lying about where he found them, but I don't see why he would do that.

Yeah, I just don't know what it is, but I'm finding this exciting.
I agree, I don't think he'd lie about where he found them, especially because it would involve making up a huge story about a turtle.
And lying about turtles is not okay.

My friends in Hobart yesterday were snowmen and women, so you know Melbourne will put on a good show soon after.

That is a possibility, when I first got interested in mushroom spotting (at least 5 or 6 years ago) a friend showed us some magical specimens that looked completely different to the common subs, they were verified by others to be active. From memory they looked very similar to panaeolus and bruised blue. They were apparently picked around the Eastern to South Eastern meadow country.

Edited by klip247

Interesting. I always wondered whether Guzman's tasmaniana was truly synonymous with subaeruginosa... Although these do sound like pans.

don't turtles require warm sunned blood to operate?

Absolutely no chance....

...have heard unconfirmed stories of cubensis though.

from what ive seen pan cyans tend to grow much further south than cubes. this is not absolute, but it seems cubes don't often grow much further south than the central coast nsw but i've heard reports of pan cyans on the south coast hundreds of km's south of sydney. just about anything is possible though, especially with our increasingly chaotic weather patterns

• Like 1

Anything is possible but I always considered cubensis the hardier, more flexible one but I remember consistent rumours about a dung lover on the peninsula and corio that I assumed was a cube perhaps wrongly??

I remember someone saying that PS aucklandii had been collected and recorded in the otwats around 2007. Can't find any reference and no type specimens lodged...

I'm not much help here as I'm in s/e QLD but I thought it might interest you, I have found the a small number of pan cyans this week & subs! I live in the mountains & in gets a lot colder than other parts of s/e QLD but this goes to show that pans can still be around when the conditions are cold enough for the subs.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

I'm not much help here as I'm in s/e QLD but I thought it might interest you, I have found the a small number of pan cyans this week & subs! I live in the mountains & in gets a lot colder than other parts of s/e QLD but this goes to show that pans can still be around when the conditions are cold enough for the subs.

Cheers

Jox

Is that subaeruginosa in se qld?

• Like 1

Is that subaeruginosa in se qld?

Yeah mate, found a heap today :).

• Like 2

Great find Jox! As far as I know there haven't been any confirmed reports of subs in qld? What kinda of environment where they growing in?

• Like 1

Cheers Ian, I found a few little patch's of them growing up in the mountains behind the goldy last July, these were growing under some large gum trees near a park, I also found them in a few man made garden beds (wood mulched) within a couple of kms from the first patch. I was very surprised when I spotted them this week as I was not expecting to see them for another couple of months, I put it down to the cold snap we had a couple of weekends ago which was followed by a week of lite showers. I think after this week (hottest end of autumn on record) they might hide away again until the next lot of cold weather.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

Edit

Edited by Jox