The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
magical9

Cuttings turning white at the tip and more

So ive got tons of cactus cuttings such as brevispinulosus and pachanoi sitting in my storage area drying horizontally. I noticed that after about a month or so.. the tips began to grow and reorient upward resulting in not only a twisted wierdly angled tip but also they are yellow tipped now. Is there a better way to store cuttings long term without them etiolating and changing colors at the tip? Ive had them stored in a dark cabinet on their sides. Turning them every so often im sure will help with the tip growing vertically but it doesnt solve the color change or the etiolation skinny tip action. any help is appreciated!

Keep them in a bright place but out of direct sun?

If the temperature is warm enough they are going to attempt to grow, and if they are on their sides you'll end up with bent cacti. If there's not enough light they'll also turn yellow/white at the top.

I usually let things callous a couple days then move them to a mostly vertical position to let finish drying.

If the temperature is warm enough they are going to attempt to grow, and if they are on their sides you'll end up with bent cacti. If there's not enough light they'll also turn yellow/white at the top.

I usually let things callous a couple days then move them to a mostly vertical position to let finish drying.

hm ya ill just start drying them vertically.

Yeah. I usually just make sure to leave the cutting in a place that's pretty bright, but no direct sun. My cuttings do stretch a little bit, but there's really no way to avoid that in my experience. Although if they aren't in really low light then they haven't turned yellow on me. I think that the best way to store a bunch of cuttings is on live plants. ;)

My cuts usually sit on a shelf upright on my porch. Which gets bright filtered light all day and full sun in the early morning. Never had a problem with them there even when we have at or below freezing temps

• Like 1