The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
magical9

my new T. Scopulicola mother plant and more!

magical9, that is a beautiful looking cacti you got there regardless of its "true name." Are those photos of it at your place or at the nursery or wherever you got got it from?

Oooooh. I'm gonna hit up sacred succulents and see if they have a spineless scop. They NEVER answer my emails though for some reason. Does anyone know if there's a better way to contact them?

I have not had trouble getting in touch with them via e-mail. Maybe it has something to do with the e-mail service you use? As in SS's e-mail service auto blocks any e-mail coming from whatever service you use. I have had it happen to me, so...

Via their e-mail news letters, I guess they have been pretty busy with family illness and rearing two infants the past few years. So maybe that has something to do with the difficulty. I also know that they have a planned month-long trip to Peru(?) coming up, so that will probably impact contact.

Edited by Kykeion
  • Like 1

I've never had trouble contacting Ben via email albeit he is a little slow to respond but I'm usually in contact via Email about once a week most the time. I've recently contacted him about if he can breed some per scop and he's going to look into it when next they flower

• Like 1

I've never had trouble contacting Ben via email albeit he is a little slow to respond but I'm usually in contact via Email about once a week most the time. I've recently contacted him about if he can breed some per scop and he's going to look into it when next they flower

Sweet dude. He actually answered my email and has a cutting available for me!!! :D Only one 6" cutting though.

• Like 1

The "scop" in the first picture looks like the typical cordobensis/super pedro. Its a very nice clone.

there is also ROB from OZ, which some (ozzies) have said its different, well it's more branchy, I give you that.

I also got another scop with spines, euro/holland sourced, from a clone.

I also got 3 scop X juuls hybrids, I dont know who made the crosses, but I was sent those from OTTO (nook)

They have shorter spines than both my euro scop and of course cordo ( I dont like the name super pedro), which leads me suspect the cross was made with a spineless scop as a mother. One of them has 5 ribs, one has 6 and one has 7, all reaching into maturity. Anyone from US that is growing those crosses?

Well even if cordobensis is a hybrid between a 'true' scop and a pachanoi, it doesn't mean that every scopXpachanoi would be of the the same phenotype with roundish ribs and all.

Essentially, and despite the spines, cordobensis has largely the phenotype of a 'good' scop and thats why it is (rightly in my opinion) sold as a scop. .

Of course the spineless scop is the "truest scop" in the sense noone can claim its not a scop, but a scop pach hybrid. Oz is floating with it. That's were my clones come from: a single small rooted tip cutting I bought of sab some years ago.

and the spineless form grows slower from cordobensis , now that's a hint to the idea of the cordobensis = scopX pach hybridisation.

Edited by mutant