The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

Questions about rubbing alcohol

Hi, guys.

In the past I was using isocol rubbing alcohol which can be bought from the supermarket. However, it's a bit on the expensive side. I bought some isopropyl alcohol in bulk so I can make my own rubbing alcohol a lot cheaper. However, I'm trying to find a container that will dispense it nicely for use in mycology.

I thought about using a trigger mister but the handles have lots of grooves and curves where contaminates could accumulate. Furthermore, a small stream like the one the bottle of isocol provides when pressed is probably preferable.

What are you guys doing in this regard?

Should I purchase a lab wash bottle?

vinegar and water??

I'll try a wash bottle and a trigger mister and see how both go.

I'm told that some people use methylated spirits instead of isopropyl alcohol but I imagine that it'd stink up the place pretty badly.

I use 30% metho with fairly good success. its heaps cheaper than iso. Pure isocol also evaps a little bit too fast to be really very effective. Both Metho and Isocol are better watered down a bit to slow the evaporation and increase contact time.

• Like 1

Using only 30% is waaaay too low. It should be at least 60% alcohol by volume to be an effective sanitiser. I'd go with 70%.

Yeah, I noticed methylated spirits is a lot cheaper. You can get isopropyl alcohol in bulk from Altronics but methylated spirits is still somewhat cheaper. I'm not sure if I could handle the smell of methylated spirits stinking up the place though. I might have to go to the shed and see if I have any methylated spirits so I can give it a sniff (insert ghetto huffing joke here) and decide whether I can handle being around it for long periods.

So, I had a whiff of the methylated spirits and it's not too bad. I think I too might make the change since it's so cheap compared to isopropyl alcohol. Thanks for the hot tip!

• Like 1