The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gr33ntea

How do I root this big boy degrafted plant?

Got this as a gift, it is a lophophora, has anyone ever rooted a degrafted plant before?

It has got some of the grafting stock still attached, it is impossible to remove it without damaging the plant.
If i just root it like this will it start rooting by the grafting stock and the scion?
Do i put it in sterilize soil? Does it have to be moist?

I have no idea what to do, help would be appreciated

post-12761-0-48057200-1396417947_thumb.j

post-12761-0-09263900-1396417968_thumb.j

post-12761-0-33487500-1396417982_thumb.j

post-12761-0-94010800-1396418006_thumb.j

post-12761-0-48057200-1396417947_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-09263900-1396417968_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-33487500-1396417982_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-94010800-1396418006_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-48057200-1396417947_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-09263900-1396417968_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-33487500-1396417982_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-94010800-1396418006_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You can definitely root it as is, and the stock will probably root first, then the scion in time. Is it a loph grafted to a columnar-type grafted to pereskiopsis? Doesn't really matter, but interesting. Nice plant!

I like to fill the desired pot with soil mix, then put a layer of inorganic top-dressing on top of that, then set the plant on top and situate into the top layer.

Keep it in a hot area and resist checking for roots as much as possible, and eventually the roots will pop out and find their way to the soil below. Do not water at all until you know root buds have formed, then water very lightly at first until the plant has somewhat secured itself (gently try to wiggle it, feeling for resistance...sounds a bit dirty lol).

This method works really well for some of the tougher species to root that may take a long time. Since you have some stock left, it will probably be more forgiving to early watering and will root quickly

Edited by Myeloblast
  • Like 2

What a lovely gift :)

Do you know what the rootstock was? It looks like a Trichocereus grafted onto Pereskiopsis? Is the spiny stock still alive? If so, you can root it easily, the stock will provide roots to the scions, and the Pere remnant will just die and go woody and shouldn't be a problem.

Put it in dry rooting material, free draining soil, perlite, clay granules or a mix, and leave it in indirect light in a warm place. Roots shouldn't take long, carefully take the plant out of the soil and check for them every 2 weeks.

Just cut a hole in the middle of it. What you do from there is for you to decide. Just make sure you apply some lube first :P

• Like 2

Do you know what the rootstock was? It looks like a Trichocereus grafted onto Pereskiopsis? Is the spiny stock still alive? If so, you can root it easily, the stock will provide roots to the scions, and the Pere remnant will just die and go woody and shouldn't be a problem.

Put it in dry rooting material, free draining soil, perlite, clay granules or a mix, and leave it in indirect light in a warm place. Roots shouldn't take long, carefully take the plant out of the soil and check for them every 2 weeks.

Are you telling me it was a pereskiopsis grafted onto a trichocereus and than had a loph grafted onto it? sounds awesome.

You can definitely root it as is, and the stock will probably root first, then the scion in time. Is it a loph grafted to a columnar-type grafted to pereskiopsis? Doesn't really matter, but interesting. Nice plant!

I like to fill the desired pot with soil mix, then put a layer of inorganic top-dressing on top of that, then set the plant on top and situate into the top layer.

Keep it in a hot area and resist checking for roots as much as possible, and eventually the roots will pop out and find their way to the soil below. Do not water at all until you know root buds have formed, then water very lightly at first until the plant has somewhat secured itself (gently try to wiggle it, feeling for resistance...sounds a bit dirty lol).

This method works really well for some of the tougher species to root that may take a long time. Since you have some stock left, it will probably be more forgiving to early watering and will root quickly

Awesome thanks man, i was going to put it in moist soil thinking it would make it root faster. I think i will place it ontop of my fridge where it is warm.

What do you mean by inorganic top dressing? Such as sand?

i would place in dry soil, it should root from the lopho itslef, sooner or later

Are you telling me it was a pereskiopsis grafted onto a trichocereus and than had a loph grafted onto it? sounds awesome.

It look like a tricho grafted to a pereskiopsis and the lopho on top of the tricho

If the pereskiopsis is still living it will throw roots in 2 weeks or so (like a any regular pereskiopsis) and with time your lopho( and probably the tricho too) will also throw roots :)

This is how I root a degrafted lopho, by leaving an inch or so of the pereskiopsis and burying under the soil so only the upper part of the lopho is showing

• Like 1

What do you mean by inorganic top dressing? Such as sand?

Sand would be an option, I use expanded shale, turface, pumice, decomposed granite, whatever I have on hand. As others have said though, just dry soil will probably work for your plant since it has a stock plant beneath it. But if you wanted to root out some pups too....

• Like 1

and another take, as I am alcoholically intoxicated:

grafted pups root easy grafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easy grafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easygrafted pups root easy

root pups from grafts that's the spirit

• Like 2

NO MOIST SOIL! So much rot.... so much... :P

If anything, perlite in a pot and a tray underneath with water and then put it on top and the water will call out to the roots ;)

Dark, dry, warm places are the best to root.

• Like 1

yep definately dry soil

and shady not too dark I would say...

Dry soil with inorganic sand. Placed in a warm dry indoor area with moderate sunlight

Thanks for the help guys

degrafted loph caes

• Like 3