The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tryptameanie

IPA

Can't remember, but it was expensive- somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars for 100ml I think.Will find out for you. If you need a large quantity, try drying the 70% stuff with MgSO4(Epsom salts). A little might dissolve in the alcohol, but it's almost tasteless and non-toxic (It's used as a laxative in 10g doses, and will be good for you if you're Mg deficient).

"MgSO4(Epsom salts)."

Nope. Epsom salts is MgSO4.7H2O, dont use that it will make things worse! Anhydrous magnesium sulfate is MgSO4 and it is soluble in alcohol. If your really wanting to turn 70% into 95% or better dry 70% IPA over salt for 5-7 days with twice daily stirring, run it through a sep funnel (or whatever) to get rid of the lower aqueous layer, add a fair ammount of anhydrous magnesium sulfate to the IPA, let stand for a week with twice daily stirring, filter the liquid, distil the liquid but leave some liquid behind (just so ya know- IPA boils at 82.3 C, water at 100 C).

I meant that you should heat it first to drive off the water of crystalisation. Heat gently or you'll melt it. It loses it's bright shininess and goes opaque white when it's dry. It need not be totally anhydrous, as long as it's got less than 7 waters per mole it will absorb some from the IPA.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I just wanted to make it clear for those who dont know any better (plus give away the salt trick, it helps alot).

But you do have to distil, it is soluble in IPA.