The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrBumpy

Proposed Federal legislation for 10c bottle and Can deposits

I read in the paper today that the federal government is proposing that a deposit of 10c on glass, plastic and cardboard drink containers encourage recycling and try reduce the amount of littering.

I thought great when I read this, I did the quick maths in my head, and figured out that this meant you could get $2.40 back on a carton, and with the current price of a carton around my place around $30 for one of the cheap three (XXXX, VB or Tooheys New), that means after your 13th carton, you'd be getting a free one (assuming you recycled and collected the deposit on every bottle from the cartons)...bargain .

I've also worked out that the beer bottle collection I have decorating my room has a monetary value of $5.60 :)

-bumpy

Only problem is, that your carton's price is going up by about $2.40, to require you to take back the packaging.

Start stockpiling now, to benefit from the decision.

But if you're an avid home-brewer like me :D running up to four carbouys at once...you tend to have a substantial collection of emptys............hmmmmmmm,

No! I don't trust the beer maker,unless it's me!!

I'll keep 'em :P

Besides @ $18 a brew (using prem. gear) gives you 2 and a half cases :confused:

Sorry to deviate :D

[ 18. May 2003, 20:45: Message edited by: mescalito ]

Ah home brew :) I think ill get around to making that stout soon - but this time ill only put the recommended 1KG of sugar not 1.5 as i did before - waaay too strong especially when i bottled it into 1.25L bottles.

Anyway about the law - i used to think it was a good idea - and it is but only where recycling can be done locally and rural areas should be exempt.

As it is in WA they have no recycling plant so only the cans are collected and shipped to SA the glass is not recycled

I just hope that the Federal government will step up to the challenge and provide the tax incentives and funding to make sure there are recycling depots all over the country to cope with the new commodity.

Or exclude rural areas from the compulsory tax

This is good for community groups who can stockpile community discards and cahs in at once for a local charity or such

And its good for rural economy who already pay higher costs associated with freight, as it levels up the prices a bit more.

Otherwise well be slugged yet again and the environment will be just as bad off

All homebrewers should investigate getting hold of 20 litre kegs ( 23 would be better but very rare) and skip the bottling stage and pour straight into keg and use bottled CO2 to carbonate.

Drinkable within a few days and the finished result being of much higher quality as it doesn't have that yeasty flavour and also I think that there is much less chance of off flavours.

I have yet to have a off brew although I mainly used to brew ginger beer

Reville in regards to the stout. If you like a little bit of sweetnes. You should try a milk stout which has lactose added which is a non fermentable sugar

Sorry Bump!-I didn't mean to deviate

no apology needed mescalito, the post was just originally something random I decided to post when I was in a weird mood...but now it has turned to homebrewing, something I find very interesting, and something I would do more of if I wasn't so damned lazy....and if my previous batch didn't turn out flat and tasting like a mix of straight molasses and vegemite.

oh well, I'll learn one day.

A question though...do the homebrewers on this forum ever use their own concoctions of ingredients (fresh or dried hops, yeast, honey etc) or do you just use the coopers you can buy in the supermarket?

-bumpy

mostly I use the coopers cans, but when i can afford something a bit more fuller i go for a grumpys who have some booster packs containing hops , lotsa hops :) , invert sugars, even some grains. good for the variety and a smooth creamy head.

A question though...do the homebrewers on this forum ever use their own concoctions of ingredients (fresh or dried hops, yeast, honey etc) or do you just use the coopers you can buy in the supermarket?

Don't necessarily use Coopers, The ginger beer you buy at Woolies and Coles is Brigalow I believe and this turns out very nicely.

Have never tried to make a brew from scrath ie. cook the mash myself as I believe it would be more expensive and the results would not be as consistent. But find that if you want to improve the quality there is a number of things you can add.

1) Lactose which does not get fermented. Adds to the body and gives a slight sweetness. Milk stout used to be my favourite beer before I discovered I was lactose intolerant.

2) Corn syrup. Can't remember the other name for it right now but this adds to the body

They also sells packs at most supermarkets theses days which ahev a combination of some of these ingerdients and help boost the beer.

On another note does anybody make any type of "special beer". I have thought about it since I once experimented with some corkwood leaves.

I kept them in my mouth for about thirty minutes and did not notice anything but a short time later after having 3 standard drinks I felt way too intoxicated to drive so had to wait a few hours even though I would have been the legal limit.

I think we should move to a new thread....

I found these things called "OZ TOPS" I am still waiting for em 2 be delivered from Grow Australia.

For $30 you can convert 50 litres of fruit juices or similar into Wine, Cider or Beer to up to 15% alc Volume in 2 days.

Hows this for a marketing ploy,(their words)

"Heres something for all you little alcos out there" OZ TOPS "Its so simple"..... lol.

I will keep you ppl posted on hoiw this product goes. BTW anyone else come across it?

when my mum had excess apricots she used to make apricot wine in a garbage bin in a cellar,twas a very nice product.she was totally inexperienced at brewing and fermenting.

t s t .

Mojorisen : where did you find out about the Oz Tops things? is there a website or anything for them?

-bumpy

The fruity brews are more likely to give you a hangover :( ,I have brewed the afforementioned cider;but it has sweeteners in it(YUK).

The BEST cider was a product by CWE(Continental Wine Experts) through "Butt's & Brew" from England called "Explosive" Cider-came out at 8.4%, a total knockout drink!!

I did,however produce a Damiana/Lager that was trippy,just added a quart of Damiana to the brew!

But; it was in the carbouy for 3 months-smashing :D

"Black Rock" have a good Mexican Lager to which I added dried chillies to (I think there may be fermentable sugars in them too :confused: )

It was SUPREME