The Corroboree
doxneed2c-me

Help First Graft Attempt

My grafts keep failing the cactus falls of the pereskiopsis which has always been very wet where the graft was done. I have done this technique exactly like the video and the cactus just ends up falling off. Some advice would be appreciated.

Although I've never had this problem before and it's probably related to either your kind of weather or altitude

But I read many methods from people who have faced this kind of problem

Some say don't water your pereskiopsis a week or 2 before grafting

Other use clink wrap or something similar to keep the scion on until the union is set

I think this was already brought up, but the cling wrap technique has worked fairly well for me in the past. Though I hate that stuff with a passion, and have started using those plastic "lunch lady" gloves. The clear ones that don't fit tight to your hand. I cut a finger off, roll the bottom a little bit and then stretch out the part that I just rolled a little (roll vertically, stretch horizontal) Then pull this down over the scion and hold snugly in place with a clothes pin. After a week, 5-7 days, remove the clothes pin and slide a toothpick or something similar from the bottom to make sure the wrap is not stuck to the scion. Then just pull off the finger, I spray inside with a little isopropyl alcohol and reuse a few times.

Disposable-Plastic-Gloves.jpg

Tangich suggests parafilm, and lets the scion push its way through. However, my pereskiopsis tries to throw out shoots all of the time, and I don't know how that would work for me.

Edited by hookahhead

Oo thank you I will try that so cover the scion completely correct? I was using a humidity chamber.

Sorry but I also forgot to mention that if your scion has spines on it, It will make this method much more difficult. To get around this I trim them as close as I can with fingernail clippers. However, with anything bigger than seedlings, I don't use anything and impale graft them. The biggest problem beginner grafters have is messing with them. Don't bump, poke, prod, or even stare at them wrong :) Set them and forget them, check on them a week later.

This is a great idea hookahhead! I also hated working with the unwieldy cling wrap, those gloves seem like they would be much easier to work with.

Btw, the good thing about parafilm is that you only need to use a little bit, that covers at most one or two Pereskiopsis areoles. And if you see a shoot emerging below it, it's very easy to remove with a scalpel tip.

I started using parafilm mostly for horizontal areole grafts, but stuck with it because it works great for me.

• Like 1

I wanted to update everyone I use square cuttings of pantyhose and no humidity chamber and I have attempted 5 grafts and all of them took. One small seedling no bigger then a fingernail even has a tiny pup on it!!! :lol:

Philocacti's tip to not water them for a while when you want to graft was what made the biggest difference. No more scions on the ground with a drop of water at the top of the pereskiopsis.

Edited by doxneed2c-me
  • Like 2

I refrain from watering 5 days before and 2 weeks after grafting. Although I don't use any support structures since without the water pushing through the stock it will just stick regardless if you hold it down or not.

Anyways, congrats!

Thank you hostilis I will try this and not use the pantyhose with some of my oddly shaped seedlings and see how things go because they are too tall and thin or odd shaped to apply downward force with pantyhose.

I usually water 1 week after grafting once I can tell the scion has taken.