The Corroboree
Quixote

Will a terracotta pot become too hot from the sun in a window?

I'm thinking of repotting some cacti, and the only pots large enough around here are the big red-brown terracotta ones. I'm worrying that the sun might heat them up too much when I place them in my window.

I'm growing all cacti indoors, as I live in a little apartment in a cold country.

So, what I've done so far is to plant the cacti in plastic pots that I then place in white ceramic containers, so that the sun's energy is deflected. But this solution only works with small cacti, since I can't find any big plastic pots and white outer containers.

What are your thoughts on this? Will a terracotta pot placed in full sun cook the poor cactus' roots?

Edited by Quixote

if you live in a cold country i'm sure it'll be fine. i have several cacti in terracotta pots and if they can survive an australian summer then i'm sure they'll be ok in n.europe. just speculation but would the terracotta help insulate you roots during cold spells better?

cacti have thrived for thousands of years in harsh desert without humans fussing over them, they're hardier than a lot of people give them credit for.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that plastic pots get hotter than terra cotta. Anyways I use those pots in full sun out here and it gets up to 110 f here. My plants still do fine.

I think you'll be okay.

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 2

Yeah terracotta stays much cooler - the thick clay acts to insulate the soil from temperature changes. That's one of the reasons they work so well for cacti besides drainage - they provide a very consistent temp range.

• Like 2

Northwest Europe? Cant imagine anything being too hot in a window still ...

• Like 1

You could place a piece of cardboard between the window and the pot. That'll ensure there are no problems.

• Like 1

Northwest Europe? Cant imagine anything being too hot in a window still ...

Actually you'd be surprised how powerful the sun is here in summertime.. just as powerful as it is weak during the winter.

You could place a piece of cardboard between the window and the pot. That'll ensure there are no problems.

Thinking of that too, it would just be a bit shabby solution for my living room..