The Corroboree
meshman

Tropical growing?

Hello all,

I now lve in the tropics and have little experience of cultivation in this climate. I have some cuttings I want to plant out in my garden, my soil comprises of mainly sand , of course the palms seem to love the sandy medium but what about TP cuttings? Also should I wait till the wet is over ? I'm guessing I do but would love some first / second hand insights.!

Thanks in advance :-)

I'm in a subtropical humid enviro. If it's warm enough to plant in the ground I'd probably just root the cuts in a pot first then transplant so you have more control over growing conditions.

Also I'd amend the soil to have great drainage as we get monsooned here throughout spring-summer.

Too cold to grow in ground here but I have to use a more mineral soil than most and I'm growing in clay pots. Had a lot of trial and error before I realized that my soil needs to be able to drain super fast and be dried out within a few days time.

• Like 1

I agree with EthnoGuy85. You should start them off in a pot first, get it acclimated to your climate and get established, then put it in the ground. Use the same soil that you're going to plant it in so it doesn't get too shocked once you put them in the ground.

I agree with EthnoGuy85. You should start them off in a pot first, get it acclimated to your climate and get established, then put it in the ground. Use the same soil that you're going to plant it in so it doesn't get too shocked once you put them in the ground.

This. As someone who has transplanted from an arid environment in pots to a more tropical location in the ground, I feel this is very true. Anything that already had an established root system and places where I fixed the soil up with additives for drainage and nutrients are doing much better than ones I just threw in the sandy ground. Hoping they all perk up when the growing season comes around.