The Corroboree
∂an

argyreia nervosa flowering

my mate has an argyreia nervosa vine that is now about 2 years old. it is pretty big now, about 2 meters off the ground and 4 meters across, however it hasn't flowered yet. when would it be expected to flower? I have read that one way to induce flowering is top trim the roots but this plant is in the ground and this wouldn't really be possible.

I had one growing in the ground in Perth for around 5 years, never flowered.... where abouts is your mate?

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 1

gold coast. a little bit more similar to its natural habitat than perth, but still the sub end of subtropical. reckon its just sensitive to the climate?

I've heard they never flower unless there in a real humid and warm environment. I've never heard of one flowering or setting seed in Sydney that's for sure, maybe a few odd flowers actually. I would have assumed the Gold Coast would be fine if its in a good enough spot tho...

I have one setting seed in the USA (FL Zone 9b) right now. Your plants should be of flowering age and must lack some environmental condition. Mine gets plenty of light pollution and that seems not to matter.

• Like 1

yeah maybe not enough sunlight hours although it is still growing prolifically. it has been a dry year in these parts from what I have heard so maybe it just needs a bit more time. shall wait and see, thanks for the help guys!

Watching this with interest as I have 3 growing from 2 different lots of seed - the largest now almost a foot high! I've got some waiting to do methinks!

Having it in the green house might be a good idea then - if it's temperature dependent?

My vines didnt start flowering untill they were 4 years old, and they only flower befor they set seed around april/may each year the rest of the time there flowerless they have been doing this the last 3yrs in a row. however ive seen friends vines further north (cooktown) flowering as late as august/september

• Like 1

I've got one, on the Gold Coast. I got it as a seedling in about September and it flowered at the end of it's second summer. I had it in a massive pot up against a fence that got full sun after midday. It was pretty big by that stage, trying to eat the fence, and I didn't really do anything special with fertilizer, just a dash of powerfeed/seasol occasionally. She was very thirsty though, pretty much needed watering everyday. I think the big pot helped, allowing the roots room to breath and as much sun as possible. Unfortunately she didn't provide me with seeds, I'm hopeful for this summer though!

Good luck!

this one is in the ground and seems very lush even when it hasn't rained for a while, so water is not a problem. It has been pruned to keed it from going into the neighbours yard - I wonder if there is a pruning technique that would promote flowering?

My vine flowered and set seed in less than a year after sowing, but I'm also in Hawaii in a fairly humid area that gets rain almost once a day. Temperatures here are typically between 60 f (at night) to mid 80s or 90s. I wish I knew why my vine flowered and set seed so early, especially with how abused it is (very rootbound, and I don't have a good tree or trellis for it). I don't fertilize very often, and have it in a substrate mostly composed of orchid wood chips.

as hinted, they flower and set seeds only after heap's of rain in Australia (and once they are sexually mature).

they need a lot of water, irrigating them is probably not enough.

very common for plants, to do "nothing" for quite a while, but than after some heavy summer rains, the suddenly jump into "action".