The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

My favorite williamsii graft has orange spots. Help please.

So I found these orange spots on my williamsii grafted to a pedro. I'm pretty sure it's rotting. It's only on the scion and not on the stock. Is there anything I can do to stop this? And also, will it spread to the stock if I don't remove it?

Here's a picture.

post-12824-0-15630800-1388270061_thumb.j

I might add that it just got over a thrips attack that left some cosmetic damage. Not sure if they're connected.

post-12824-0-15630800-1388270061_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-15630800-1388270061_thumb.jpg

Edited by hostilis

I suspect I'm being dumb here, but I've never seen a L. williamsii with so many segments/spirals! Really cool. Is it a mutant L. williamsii? or a different genera with the same species name?

It's L williamsii. I spray my grafts with GA3 and it increases the growth rate, but also causes the ribs to pop out like that. It's actually only 8 ribs, it's just spiraling. Here's a picture of it when I first grafted it.

post-12824-0-32664100-1388281742_thumb.j

@ bullit: I suspect it's rust rot, but it isn't soft. I wanted to get a few other opinions. It's grown indoors under T5 lighting (during the winter) and it was outside for a while at the beggining of it's life. I have never had issues with rot before on any of my other GA3 sprayed grafted lophs.

post-12824-0-32664100-1388281742_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-32664100-1388281742_thumb.jpg

Edited by hostilis

I'd keep it dry and in a dry space and it shouldn't get any worse. the spots will turn a dark color and stop spreading. but can turn black and grow in humid times.

If i was in a humid space i'd dust w/sulfur if it gets worse

• Like 2

It's L williamsii. I spray my grafts with GA3 and it increases the growth rate, but also causes the ribs to pop out like that. It's actually only 8 ribs, it's just spiraling. Here's a picture of it when I first grafted it.

attachicon.gif9-1.jpg

@ bullit: I suspect it's rust rot, but it isn't soft. I wanted to get a few other opinions. It's grown indoors under T5 lighting (during the winter) and it was outside for a while at the beggining of it's life. I have never had issues with rot before on any of my other GA3 sprayed grafted lophs.

Thanks for explaining. What order of increased growth rate do you achieve by using GA3? Double, triple?

I get about 1cm a month growth with williamsii with seedling grafts using GA3 mimzy.

And thanks a ton DG. I'll do that. I really hope I can save this plant. It is one of my "prized plants"

Edited by hostilis

I'd agree to keep it as dry as possible so probably wouldn't water until it shows signs of improvement. Best of luck!

• Like 1