The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
terracottacactus

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele?

Question

Hi all,

I found this little cacti at bunnings and from the search engine belive it may be a Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele? Can someone either confirm or deny this for me please? I've noticed that the tuft of hair has started to sprout and fluff up since I've had it and not watered it from the top.

The second pic is another unidentified super spiky cacti, again I would love a proper ID.

Cheers!

2013-112.jpg

2013-114.jpg

6 answers to this question

Nice find TC,, the second may be a Gymnocalycium? It also looks a bit stressed, maybe don't water it for a while. The yellow and orange leaves me worried.

Cheers upside,

Yeah the second one isn't looking happy at all. I felt so bad for it that I had to get it though. It's nice when you can nurse them back to health and admire them looking healthy again. I was windging to the garden center guy at Bunnings about how shit it looked so he sold it to me for a buck, and the other for 3 bucks.

Haha that's the way to do it... I've complained about damaged stock and said I want it cheaper,, they didn't have a problem with it :-) good save!

• Like 1

The cacti at bunnings can be a sad sight. I've seen BEAUTIFUL grafted cacti there, only to arrive two weeks later to see those same ones with blackspot or numerous other issues regarding overwatering. Five minutes later, an employee will walk over with a watering can and torture them even more! Cacti planted in pure peat, sitting inside a poorly lit warehouse being watered every two days. Makes me cringe.

• Like 1

That's how it is here at the big box stores like walmart, lowes, home depot ect... They're like cacti concentration camps. 75% of the plants end up dying from rot or get etiolated as hell. I go there just to save them sometimes.

Edited by hostilis

Could i see a photo of the tag's that came with the plants? Are they from vic? Dan's Plants sold a bucket load of Gymnocalycium saglionis and G. pflanzii to bunnings a few years ago and you still see them around, it's likely one of the two. Then again Gymnocalycium is a big genus. it may have come from Paradisia Nursery which is likely as they also grow Turbs, whereas Dan doesn't.
Give it a bigger pot in a well draining mix and give it a real good feed. I'd recommend slow release synthetic stuff personally. Once it gets a bit bigger and flowers I could have another go at IDing it.