The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

an amino acid cures obsessive compulsive disorder

Amino acid treatment offers fresh hope for obsessive compulsive disorder

• Grant McArthur
  • Herald Sun
  • December 06, 2013 7:00PM
296887-fb50ec68-5e3e-11e3-8eb9-1c57f26bd

Constant handwashing can be an example of obsessive compulsions. Source: Supplied

OBSESSIVE-compulsive disorder sufferers are being ­offered fresh hope.

A University of Melbourne study is adding amino acid to treatments to try to dampen the impact of obsessive compulsions such as constant handwashing or counting.

The disorder affects about two in 100 Australians.

Lead investigator Dr Jerome Sarris said tablets of amino acid could reduce symptoms in OCD by regulating the glutamate system in patients' brains.

Small overseas [ censored ] nutrient-based compound N-acetylcysteine can reduce OCD behaviours.

The Melbourne study is the first large-scale trial.

"We know that this crippling condition can manifest in many forms. OCD obsessions are ­often repeated, persistent and unwanted ideas, thoughts, ­images or impulses that are ­involuntarily and intrusive," Dr Sarris said.

"Current treatments often only have a limited effect, and we are seeking options to help a condition for which there is no known cure and current standard treatments are inconsistent."

For Prahran man Tom, the trial may offer some freedom from his compulsions to ­repeatedly check his fly is done up, the tap is turned off, the handbrake of his car is on or to ask the same questions.

"It impacts heavily on my life every day," he said.

"It ­often involves in my mind scenes of disaster, even though it doesn't make sense.

"One part of me knows it is an irrational proposition, but the other part of me thinks it's a real proposition and it is a tug of war."

Tom says he can be aware his need to check is irrational, but the anxiety can only be eased by checking.

Those interested in participating in a trial can contact Gina Oliver on 0422 529 432 or [email protected]

available in webstores.

lets do our own trial?

it comes and goes but i can give one example of slightly intrusive compulsive behaviour; i think to myself in a certain brand of jibberish.

what?????? i Have pretty bad OCD. Had it all my life. I am keen to test this out

I know a lot of self diagnosed 'ocd' sufferers that really just have an annoying habit, or even worse just say they have ocd when they have nothing to do with anything.

I'm OCD about being annoyed when people annoy me, when i'm annoyed i can't help but be annoyed, so annoying, DAMN MY OCD.

i just said i have the odd bit of compulsive behaviour. if mentioning a minor issue with my otherwise sparkling state of mental health triggers your condition so badly, maybe you should get your hypochondria officially diagnosed, get over your imaginary OCD and seek treatment for your morbid jealousy syndrome. i can't stop finding the flaws in the personalities of others despite being quite accepting of others yesyes one example of how i'm that little bit more worth of admiration than others megalomaniac I'M THE OCD DAMNIT direct your attention seeking disorder this way also your oppositional defiance disorder really shines when attempt to crack jokes about mental disorders in a thread about mental disorders could just be inconsider prick disease

veiled hostility

must have the last word

you think you won but everyone now thinks your an ass

alienated

insecure...

hides behind comedy.

veneer of control total wreck underneath

i hope this is still funny

what amino acid are they talking about? i can't find it...

ok thanks mate. one i've not heard of. hows the l-cysteine shares going lol?

im not self diagnosed. I have some pretty extreme rituals i get stuck in. Like sniffing, doing circles, Having to go round objects the same way i came, cant walk on cracks. Have to do a skip every now and again, Having to touch my elbow in 3 sets of 7. Putting things down 3 times, The list goes onnnnnnn. Im really keen to try this out

• Like 1

That's interesting because there is a lot of research done on Asperger's syndrome and the glutamic system (ei receptors and their brain functions) and doses of L-glutamine are actually administered to help with certain things, and its proven to be an effective treatment. I don't know anything about L-cysteine, google time :D

if read into it recently and if i'm understanding correctly, acetylcysteine (NAC) seems to be a better way to supplement glutamine than glutamine itself...

"Oral supplementation with N-AcetylCysteine (NAC) provides an alternate means of boosting intracellular glutathione via elevated intracellular cysteine. NAC is rapidly absorbed after oral administration and reaches a maximum plasma level in 2-3 hours, with a half-life of about 6 hours. NAC readily enters cells and is hydrolyzed to cysteine."

"Oral supplementation with N-AcetylCysteine (NAC) provides an alternate means of boosting intracellular glutathione via elevated intracellular cysteine. NAC is rapidly absorbed after oral administration and reaches a maximum plasma level in 2-3 hours, with a half-life of about 6 hours. NAC readily enters cells and is hydrolyzed to cysteine."

it's available in australia https://duckduckgo.com/?q=n+acetylcysteine+australia

remember other protein will compete for absorption in the gut.

let the trials begin.

• Like 2

um instead of copying the same thing twice, there was supposed to be a bit about other proteins competing with NAC for absorption in the gut so i guess for best absorption do not take with other amino/protein sources.