The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Slybacon

Life After Food - Soylent

An expensive way to live a dull life.

Would be good if they made it available to the starving and less fortunate. So for every one purchased one is sent free someone who needs it..... Looks gross tho!

I agree, it has great potential for aid use, but it would need to become far cheaper. Mind you, it's probably not very difficult to come up with a similar formula.

Skeptical as to the long-term health effects of it, as synthetic supplements have been shown to have deleterious health consequences.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/the-vitamin-myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/

So that, coupled with the fact that drinking a supplement slurry will never contend with the pleasures of eating real food, makes it a less than appealing choice.

I doubt I'd go for a chemical concoction like soylent. I lived for 6-8 weeks or so on Vital Greens, blended fruit, Lentils and herbs/spices. At the 6 week point, I felt the best I've felt in 20 years. The first 2-3 weeks was filled with cravings and withdrawals from unknown chemicals in the food I'd previously been eating. I had a sore jaw from lack of use too. I looked at so many diet/supplements and vital greens won hands down. It tastes very nice and without seeing the ingredients on soylent, I'd hazard a guess VG is better... It is expensive, but it's less than half the cost of eating takeaway food, so it's worth it.

Chewing on chunks of food is more satisfying than slurping down a cup of sludge though. Now I do both :)