The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
goodude

graft issue

gday everyone hope ur all well. so this graft was slightly damaged in transit and now has very few leaves. its my onlyone like this so i wanna be careful with it. i was thinking i might regraft from the peres maybe an inch under the button onto a pach stock. what would u do?

thanks for ur time. sorry i think the pics gonna be sideways. post-12909-0-44963100-1379233318_thumb.j

post-12909-0-44963100-1379233318_thumb.jpg

post-12909-0-44963100-1379233318_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Peres don't need no stinking leaves. So should be ok BUT looks a bit big for a Peres graft so would prob benefit from a re/degraft.

• Like 1

You´ll most likely do more damage by regrafting than by letting it as is. Of course you can re-graft if you are experienced with it but at this point, i wouldnt see why. If you realize that the graft should´ve lost contact with the host, you can still re-graft.

• Like 1

If you do want it a little shorter, I would just cut it off and repot it at the desired height. I have never had an problems doing tht in the warmer sesons. I have also found that the lack of leaves don't seem to make a great difference to the growth rate of the scion. ;)

• Like 1

I reread you post - so you would like to graft the pereskiopsis an inch below the loph onto trichocereus? So from ground up. Trichocereus. - pereskiopsis - lophophora. .? I have never see this done but would be interested to see it it could be done!

hey jim hope ur well mate. yea u got it. i kinda figure that i may achieve more growth from a decent size pach as i figure it will photosynthesise more. worried about how i will provide good downward pressure on scion this size shape n delicate. im new at this and im not sure whether i should risk it on my new pride n joy.

can anyone shed any light on grafting peres onto trich, has it been done before?

if you have only just got it id say dont stress it any more leave it be for a while at least

• Like 1

hey jim hope ur well mate. yea u got it. i kinda figure that i may achieve more growth from a decent size pach as i figure it will photosynthesise more. worried about how i will provide good downward pressure on scion this size shape n delicate. im new at this and im not sure whether i should risk it on my new pride n joy.

can anyone shed any light on grafting peres onto trich, has it been done before?

You could just chop the side loph off and graft that to the trichocereus ? As long as you work clean ( wiping everything down with metho) and maybe apply some sulphur to the cut everything should be ok. Although chop and graft at your own risk! ;)

Doubt the graft would take, not talking about not getting out of balance and being pushed down from the Trich later when (if) growth sets in. At a certain point, the Peres would fall down once it gets too long or too heavy with the Loph. I am sure that its technically possible for a very skilled grafter to graft a Peres with a Loph onto a Trich but i dont think its worth the work and risk of Infection. You can certainly try though...maybe it produces Lophs that are big as Oranges. :)