The Corroboree
planthelper

stupid spell check

hi!

I just noticed something...

type lophophora into your window, and the stupid spell check software (the red wiggle lines) will change it to lophophore!!

meaning, it changes a correct word into in our case a wrong word!

as well I want to ask, where and what (and for free), I can download, to have a better spell checker.

I mean the one, where suddenly, after a click, a drop down window appears with all the different but similar words.

because, I have been put down, by some people here for my dyslexic English, I go now and put many words into the google search engine window, so I can copy and paste the correct spelling, but this is extremely labour intensive, and quite frankly, makes me sick in the head as well.

for an average post I might have to do this, 5 times or more often... :(

I think it's time, for the world to stop, putting down people with dyslexia!!!

every teacher in my life graded me down, for my dyslexic mistakes.

some people, including teachers made even fun of me!

this has to stop!

I ask you to create a new word, which describes, a person, who makes fun, and puts down dyslexics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe, DYSLEXPHOBIA?

I set the rules as well, if you are gay, you are allowed to make gay jokes.

so only dyslexics ought to be allowed to say, "YOU AND YOUR FUCKED ENGLISH".

What browser are you using?

I think spell checks are for American English, not the same as British English that we use

If you use Firefox there is a app or whatever they call it which is an Australian dictionary and it works in most text boxes. I am lost with out it as my spelling shocking and i used to paste my posts into word to spell check and then paste it back into the thread.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

If you use Firefox there is a app or whatever they call it which is an Australian dictionary and it works in most text boxes. I am lost with out it as my spelling shocking and i used to paste my posts into word to spell check and then paste it back into the thread.

Cheers

Got

I used to do that a lot.

PH, there arent likely to be many IE (explorer) users here. A google search for "Australian Dictionary Internet Explorer" might do you proud.

will do so tomorrow, cheers.

I think, I got a firefox, forcefully uploaded when I uploaded google earth, is that the browser you use?

I am worried fire fox and ie cause havoc on my pc...

I would need spoon feeding here, if you recommend fire fox, how to I disable ie?

anyway, I try tomorrow your search, and report back.

fluorescent piss

Edited by whoami

Lophophora

hmm, firefox says I misspelled 'Loophole' :lol:

But it has a little 'add to dictionary' button, so now mine knows Lophophora.

And their is indeed a free addon to make it aussie spelling, I guess for those words like coloUr and bogan.

There is also a free third party app [Link]

I havent tried it tho.

Edited by Auxin

This thread reminds me of

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/archives/63990/

Texting error leads to lockdowns at West Hall middle, high schools Message should have said "gunna" as in "going to" but changed to "gunman"
By Lee Johnson [email protected]
POSTED: March 1, 2012 12:21 a.m.

An auto corrected text message, accidentally sent to the wrong number, was the catalyst to lockdowns Wednesday at West Hall middle and high schools.

Just before noon, law enforcement and school officials issued the lockdowns after a West Hall community member reported a threatening text message.

The text, saying "gunman be at west hall today," was received and reported to police around 11:30 a.m. But after police tracked the number, they learned the auto correct feature on the new cellphone changed "gunna" to "gunman."
The message being sent to the wrong number added to the confusion.

As law enforcement learned of the text message, the schools were notified to go into lockdown as authorities investigated the origins of the message.

"The school system always relies on law enforcement for school safety and anytime they request a lockdown we go with that request," said Gordon Higgins, Hall County Schools spokesman. "We always take every precaution concerning a potential threat or danger."

Authorities say the person who received the message "did the right thing."

"It was a combination of odd circumstances," said Sgt. Stephen Wilbanks of the Hall County Sheriff's Office. "We want to emphasize that the recipient did the right thing in reporting the message."

Hall Superintendent Will Schofield said in a statement that locking down the campuses was "standard procedure" and he was pleased with the handling of the situation.

"I am extremely proud of our school team members as they handled a challenging situation well," he said. "While this event caused a great deal of anxiety among students, staff and parents, be assured that we will always err on the side of caution when it comes to the safety of our boys and girls."

School officials say safety is their top priority and that giving information to parents as it becomes available is essential.

"What we try to do is give parents the best information when we have it," Higgins said.

The lockdown was eventually lifted around 1:45 p.m.

This event comes just days after three students were killed at Chardon High School in Ohio, adding to an already stressful situation.

Higgins said the time frame between the two events could have had an impact on today's events and the way they were handled.

He also said threats happen at schools, but generally come from students. This, he said, was the first time in recent memory that a community member reported a threat.

• Like 1

PH, the above advise is sound.

If your having any troubles switching over, shoot me a PM. Im very patient ;)

yeah, thx bro, it's just I am suddenly super active with plenty of other things,

thx 4 all your help.

• Like 1

ph, plenty of native english speakers can't write as well as you can... and nearly all of them are ONLY ENGLISH speakers.

it all depends on the scenario, what standard is expected and the nature and tone of the criticism. i know you find it harder than others to judge tone, but if somebody is really criticising your english unnecessarily, like you've travelled to the internet of the 90's and encountered now-extinct grammar-nazis or spelling-nazis, tell them to blow it out their ass. making them get a life is the only way to kill them.

thunder, I found out a few things.

like normaly I don't remember most names, and this is because of the dyslexia, but if I am a bit manic, I do remember suddenly quite a few peoples names.

the person, who said the "you and your fucked English", I can't tell to blow it out his ass, because he would either have to ignore it, or if he would retaliate, I would lose the pen war, because he is a genius, regarding pen warfare, hehehe. he will read this though, and know it's him.

I don't start a pen war, which I can't win, but I fight a pen war, even if I lose it, at times, because nobody dominates me with there false accusations and interpretations.

problem is, some people, believe there own lies.

another thing I have observed is, that if I don't think how to spell it, and write fast, I make less dyslexic mistakes.

my dyslexia effects the forum, because I go mad if people say, something which is not entirely true or complete (like calling something "laminar flow", if nothing about this thing has even remotely to do with laminar flow. and seriously, I can't stop this feeling, it does hurt my brain, and only goes away, if it's fixed and complete.

but most people would not care a rats ass, regarding those things, hehehe.

edit, it's much harder for a dyslexic to learn a new lingo or a musical instrument..., than for other people...

Edited by planthelper

well, torsten does kind of employ you, in a sense. so if he asks you to bend over, you better ask him to spank your ass.

from my point of view, inability to recall would be infuriating. i literally become agitated when i can't recall a memory, and i somehow know if it's hiding somewhere (a word on the tip of my tongue) in which case it will come to me within hours as though god whispered it into my third-ear, and i will feel like i have one fewer problems. something like a dream is obviously not going to yield much tangible memory, and will nearly always disappear entirely rather than dredging itself up hours later.

i don't know anything about dyslexia but better memory can only help, and one plant is proven to improve memory. you should drink brahmi tea until your butt falls out, and see if it makes life easier.

IT'S VERY INFURIATING AT TIMES, not just the recall, but many other aspects as well.

for example risk taking, which dyslexics often do.

but I think it's a bit the same as when you are born blind, and you don't know what you miss.

I am working on a dyslexia thread, so stay tuned, but some aspects of dyslexia are a gift.

I am for example very good with money, and can create something of value out of almost nothing,

I am a super entaprenur, but I can't write the word, what irony, hehehe.