The Corroboree
bongoman

Determining "top" and "bottom" of bridge cuttings for re-planting?

If I have some long (45cm) cuttings of trich. bridgesii, I understand I need to plant them the correct way up.

I'm having a little trouble determining which way is up, but if I am correct, the primary spine in each cluster tends to point downwards in a bridge? That is, the larger spines tend to point to the ground rather than up?

the primary spine in each cluster tends to point downwards in a bridge? That is, the larger spines tend to point to the ground rather than up?

I *think* this is correct, however there are probably exceptions to any such rule.

You should be able plant them like that with a certain degree of confidence.

Planting logs on their side has always proven to be very time consuming in my experience. I think the roots struggle to pierce through the thick skin, but hey, if you have a few pieces you may as well try both!

Do you have any pictures? Are there notches or a V shape on either side of the areoles?

• Like 1

The big spine points down, edit to say bog beat me to it

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 1

I would plant at least 1 on its side. Upside down trichs dont do so well

^

No they do not!

I had one stump which I planted upside down and it took a year and a half to grow roots and then another year to throw two little pups.

• Like 1

there's not always a 'v' notch, or a long spine. but if you look carefully the areoles sort of point "upwards", like you see in this pic

pic_Trichocereus_bridgesii.JPG

also there may be "stripes" as you see on the above pic which slope downwards, but still post a pic and people will tell you which way is up (it's the only way, after all :wink: )

• Like 1

The end with the thickest vascular core is the down end.

~Michael~

• Like 4

^

No they do not!

I had one stump which I planted upside down and it took a year and a half to grow roots and then another year to throw two little pups.

You call that doing good?

No, not good at all lol. I was agreeing with you that trichs dont like being planted upside down.

• Like 1

Hahaha! Sorry man, for some bizarre reason i thought otherwise. After re-reading i cannot figure out why!

The last fella i did that too died 3 years later. I managed to save the only pup (miniature) that it put out.

Worst part was the seller put an arrow on the trich. Prob was i didnt know witch way it was meant to point!!! :scratchhead:

Edit: A look at Qualias pick shows a "large spine" pointing up. After looking at a few of my own, i cannot see a distinctive pattern. (will add none of mine are over 3 years old)

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 2

Thanks for the responses.

Following M.S.Smith's advice re the relative thickness of the vascular core, it's really clear now which is the right way up to plant these cuttings. My initial hunch was correct, but looking at the core at each end makes it foolproof.

In the attached image, all three cuttings have the end with the thicker core at the bottom of the pic.

MWVvcFo.jpg?1

Edited by bongoman
  • Like 1