The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Looking for photos of Trichocereus flowers

Hi guys am looking to compile a flower data base for the following Trichocereus species.

If anyone has some sold photos of blooms from specific species (groups)would be much appreciated. Specifically these four species categories Hybrid flowers welcome but only if both parents are known.

T.pachanoi

T.macrogonus

T.peruvianus

T.bridgesii

T.scopulicola

T cuzcoensis

Either attach here in this thread or pm me and I will give you an email address to send to.

Much appreciated.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 4

Is there a particular sort of photo that you are looking for. Are you looking close up of the flower itself or photo of the whole plant.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

I've got pics of a scopulicola, a peruvianus and a long spine san pedro (yowie) in bloom.

They are on my hard-drive so I wont be able to send them until monday but will upload them here so you can have a look and decide if they will be useful or not.

• Like 2

I am looking for reasonably close up shot of flowers front on shots so we can make out stigma and anthers also shots of plant etc. The idea is to build a data base to actually classify the plants from a true botanical prospective. Down the track I hope to back this up with some genetic mapping. But the flower data base is a great way to start.

There are a number of good photos in the Trichocereus in South America torrent at:

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/7043057/Trichocereus_in_South_America

If you have any questions regarding identification of plant in the torrent just ask and I'll pass on my opinion. Personally I would drop inquiries into "T. macrogonus" due to inconsistencies in what is or isn't the species. Anyhow, I doubt you would see flowers differences of any great botanical significance from plants claimed to be T. macrogonus and either T. peruvianus or T. pachanoi.

~Michael~

• Like 1

I can help with most of those but there are some considerations.

One is that if flowers are a sound basis for identifications pachanoi, as presently recognized, either needs to be divided into several species (probably two or three) or else peruvianus and several others need to be merged with it.

A part of what is regarded as pachanoi also appears like it should be split out and lumped with bridgesii (either there or as a hybrid is where I'd presently put the pachanot for instance).

Molecular work ongoing in South American should be able to help resolve some of this at some point. Albesiano is working on a monograph for Trichocereus. I believe she just moved into working on the Bolvian part of that and the Chilean section either was recently published or soon will be. I saw it prepublication during editing and peer review but have had too much to do to follow up on it past that. I'd anticipate that long overdue work is going to take her up to a couple of years per country despite having much groundwork already behind her.

• Like 1

Michael and KP thanks for posting interest in the thread. I hope to get some sequencing done on the the above species,or at leasts examples of these phenotypes that I have access too. Am currently attempting to organise access to the labs for the end of the year. I believe ( and this is mostly from reading both your opinions and work) pachanoi, peruvianus, macrogonus and cuzcoensis is one greater specie with scopulicola & bridgesii falling into another category. And the pachanot I believe is a f1 hybrid in my opinion a good example pc pach x scopulicola spine variation in the progeny is extreme.

I am still hoping to get some Australian photos too, and known hybrid flowers are welcome too.