The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Fishing at Swain reef

Well I will be heading out on Saturday & was wondering if there are any keen fisher men or women out there that have any secret tips for fishing the offshore reefs? If so please let me know :wink:.

I have fished for most of my life, fishing for trout in the Snowy Mountains as a kid, catching barra in the N.T, fishing in shore reefs of north QLD & chasing jacks around the Goldy but this will be my first time fishing so far out.

We will be heading out from Rockhamton QLD & going 200kms to Swain reef were we will stay on a mother ship at night but during the day will have access to punts. The idea is to cruse around in the day trying to catch huge fish & get close enough to shallow reefs so I can snorkel.

If anyone has any good pointers please let me know, my only worry is spending a week on the mother ship with people I have never meet before.

Cheers

jox

• Like 3

Trolling with lures is good but keep changing your lure if nothing is taking it. Smith's jigs are pretty reliable.

But when actually fishing off the bottom I like to use a hand-line with very thick line and I also use those cotton fishing gloves. Much quicker and easier to pull 'em up, one after the next.

I just thread a hook (or two) on the end of the hand line, tie a double granny knot around the hook so it ends up dangling freely on a loop, while leaving a couple feet of line still hanging out so I can do the same thing with a sinker at the very end of the line.

This method is quick and easy, you don't want to spend half your time tying up rigs. These knots can't pull-out by the way.

post-8867-0-29560100-1371632376_thumb.jp

^This should be around a meter long

Also use heavy duty hooks. Nothing worse than shitty gear that causes you to lose your best fish.

I find it good to hide the hook inside the bait with just the tip exposed, that way the fish just swallow the whole lot without any hesitation.

Also, bleed every fish you catch and spike it in the brain too. That kills it properly and stops it flapping around on the deck bruising itself etc. Personally I like to chop the entire head clean off every fish I plan to keep, it's the most humane thing to do IMO.

Just a few tips anyway. (I used to be professional fisherman for Spanish Mackerel and also for Tuna). Good luck :)

ddgdgbd.jpg

ddgdgbd.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3

Super jealous !!

• Like 1

circle hooks.... catch more fish, and easier and better on the fish you want to release

• Like 2

Wow,.... I'd totally go with you if I could man! I am pretty serious when it gets to fishing..... so when I go fishing I usually only go with people that are serious, ocussed and know what they are doing.

Looks like the place to hook up with some serious fish......... I can only imagine the size of wahoo, dog toothies.... and some serious marlin . ..... my fav's are the mahi's! But a big ol yellowfin tuna......... anything hitting that lure over 15 kgs is good fun.

Usually the average wahoo in our southern caribbean waters is between 12 and 18 kg's. Every now and then a 20+ will hit it,.... I love that rush that follows.

Hand lines like Halcyon mentioned is what I usually use too for bottom dwellers.

Haven't jigged much,.... but people that have been along with us on our boat have showed us that it is super effective way to catch fish.

Make pics of the catch and show us Joxy! Would love to see it.

• Like 1

You should get a few packs of different soft plastic lures and bounce them around the reef.

Ive had luck with the burkley plastics but they smell feral. also try the squidgy soft plastics, they dont stink and are a bit more durable.

Very jealous

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies :),

I will be heading of in the morning, hopefully I will be putting up some good photos in a week when I get back.

Have a good week all & please contact the right authorities if I not posting in two weeks as I am going out there with my mums boyfriend & this might be the chance he has been waiting for to get rid of the pain in the ass step son :P.

Cheers

jox

• Like 2

Go with the preemptive strike, that's how we 'do' these days.

• Like 1