The Corroboree
Quixote

The great fertilizer myth?

I know everybody says trichs need NPK fertilizer with a low Natrium content, but why?

Natrium is used by plants to generate growth, and since trichs are some of the fastest growing plants in the world, why would they not need plenty of natrium?

I could imagine it's a misconception that comes from thinking "trichs are cacti and cacti grow slowly and so they need low natrium fertilizer". But all cacti are not growing at the same speed.

Has anyone actually experimented with regular plant fertilizer for their potted trichocereus plants?

high phosphorus for cacti, at least for blooming.... thats what i keep hearing .... No luck so far.. :unsure:

My Trichs got only seasole and miracle grow general purpose fert's for three years and the growth was very good with no negative effects.

I have since changed to a low Nitrogen fert to try and promote flowering.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

I haven't experimented in any scientific way but in my experience half strength regular (i.e. thrive soluble all purpose) fert once a week during the growing season works fine on trichs.

Low nitrogen is for slow growing cacti or cacti in a dormant phase.
Too much nitrogen on my echinopsis and they start showing black spots and unhealthy growth like etoliation and soft flesh but mostly its the black death thing.

Edited by AndyAmine.

I smash all my cacti with ferts and up the potassium and phosphorous in the warmer months make the Gymnos flower. Trichs I treat like tomatoes or chillis feed feed feeed

• Like 3

I use whatever ferts are on special. Nothing negative to report.

I fertilize the hell out of them to get them to flower. But just like the guys mentioned before, this highers the Rates of Fungal Infections. bye Eg

• Like 1

When its not raining, i generally bombard my trichs 1 or 2 times weekly with a combo of miracle grow, powerfeed, seasol, and worm juice. And if i cut them all back i just hit them with miracle grow and freshly cracked coconut milk.

Fertilizer on my cactus patch in winter also seems to speed up the growth of unwanted weeds and moss , I just don't feed til about mid September.

Thats the good thing about the north QLD. My cactus never sleep, even if they did i wouldnt let them.

• Like 2

Fertilizer on my cactus patch in winter also seems to speed up the growth of unwanted weeds and moss , I just don't feed til about mid September.

Well yeah, its nutrients for them too. Just cover the soil with small quartz stones.

• Like 1

I have said this before and will say it again, myth. In my opinion low nitrogen ferts for cacti will actually slow growth and make the plants weaker and more vulnerable to pest and disease. I base this on years of growing all types of cacti and always using a high nitrogen fert, I think my plants speak for themselves.

@Andy I find high nitrogen ferts are fine for use in miniatures and slow growers, you just fert them less frequently.

Hi Hellonasty, i guess theres a limit for what amount of nitrogen seedlings are able to take without getting vulnerable. Your definately right about well fed plants being more healhy than seedlings that lack nutrients. That being said, i was in the situation last year that i was trying to get seedlings big fast because i´ve sown them too late in spring and after numerous cycles of nutrients, many of them were rotting away. Maybe it is because overfertilisation causes the roots to rot and then, fungal infections kick in.

Hey EG,

Yeah that theory sounds like it could have contributed by making the skin or roots weak and more prone to damage which then leads to bacterial problems. I find slow release ferts are good for pots and garden beds in combination with seasol every now and then. Also the organic pellets are great (Rooster Booster in Aus), chicken poo with added nutrients. For seedlings I hardly use any ferts at all, very minimal.

If growing from seed why not go ahead and grow far too many and challenge with the max levels of ferts and water. Over the generations the plants would thus be selected for tomato-plant-like feeding and growth :drool2:

Last year I fed an assortment of paches, bridges, macros, terscheckiis, hybrids thereof, and one group of glaucas with 1/4 strength 15-30-15 every second week throughout the growing season. Not the slightest problem except, perhaps, it promoting the abortion of small pups when in subsequent dormancy.

This year I'm giving them that every week, so far the only effect seems to be rapid growth.

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 1