The Corroboree

Got some Selenicereus leaf cuts and a nice big healthy blue length of another of the Cereus sp the other day.

From the south coast of Sydney (near Nowra)

Anyone have any tips on roothing the Selenicereus or "queen of the night" ??

It's the real deal as far as I can tell from the pics of the flower my mates Grandma had and research online.

She said it flowers once a year for her.

They're easy really. Just keep it sheltered for it's first winter. I put one at the base of a tree and it's climbed about 5 meters so far, Can't wait till it gets HUGE :) Like dragonfruits they don't even need to have roots in the soil. they can be completely epiphytic.

• Like 2

Hey Savage Gardener,

It is cool you have collected some more cacti for your garden :) , I was wondering which Selenicereus "Queen of the night" you are referring to? As many of the Selenicereus spp fall under this common name, I assume you mean Grandiflorus, which is one Selenicereus I am still chasing.Can you show us some photos?

I have S. hamatus which also has the common name Queen of the night & S.megalanthus commonly known as the yellow pitaya or yellow dragon fruit. I have found Selenicereus one of the easiest cacti to get rooted, all I do now is take a cutting & leave it for a couple of days to heal & then shove it in the ground. I have 100% success like this. If you ever have a cutting of grandiflorus spare I would be keen to trade it for one of my Selenicereus spp or if you don't but would like a few more Selenicereus spp I would be happy to help you out.

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

Cool Jox.

I believe it is grandiflorus (according to someone in the know I.Ding th photos of the flowers)

I'll try put up the pics here for you mate. And of course, happy to hook you up if it is.

Peace

• Like 1

Oh by the way that's called Epiphyllum oxypetallum. This glorious plant got me into cacti and hence into SAB. I got plenty of these babies now, and they also climb trees if given the chance.

Almost a Selenicereus, a close relative, I think they will even cross pollinate together. The flat pointy leaf is usually the give away. Check out some of the other colorful Epiphyllums while you're at it :)

• Like 1

@Halcyon, mate you have done well to work that out from a pic of the flower :wink:. I was wondering why the title said Selenicereus leaf cutting, as I have never seen a Selenicereus with leaves. Once again it shows how hard it is to work things out when common names are used, Queen of the night is a very common name & is used quite alot, I have seen it used for Cereus, Hylocereus, many Selenicereus spp & now Epiphyllum. I am sure it would be used for alot of other plants as well.

@Savage, thanks for showing us the photos :lol:. When you get some time can you confirm that you got leaf cuttings & possibly add a photo of the plant. As far as getting this to root, it should be just as easy, maybe even easier. I propagate Epiphyllum's by taking a cutting & sticking it straight into the pot of the mother plant, a few weeks later I pull them out & pot them by themselves, by this time they already have little roots.

Cheers

jox

Thanks guys...Always appreciate being informed that I'm misinformed ;)

Will do Jox.

Talk soon.

• Like 1