The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pablo

good looking plants for my new backyard

i'm looking for some suggestions for some good looking, preferably ethnobotanical plants for my new back/front yard.

so far i know i'm gonna have HBWR and morning glory growing EVERYWHERE all over the fences, walls, roof. will probably plant a row of hemia somewhere like hedges (anyone know how tall they get?) a few caleas here and there and of course some sallys.

i'd appreciate any suggestions as to what people think are good looking plants, how high they grow and where abouts youd plant them.

so far the wormwood and scotchbroom look nice from pics i've seen.

we dont have any landscape designers on the forumns do we?

yeah thanks, forgot about that one, think i'll have that growing all up the side of the house.

evening sass, i've got some of those uki brugs and they won't survive here so i'll see if there's some way i can get one to you. btw what's this new yard thing? u moved house?

yeah cool, i would have taken one but it be pretty sus coming back with beer bottles of brug cuttings, especially cause my mum knows what it is. i didn't think about packing it another way.

so how high does this brugs grow? judging by the thickness of the cuttings it was like a brug tree or something. had very nice flowers

moving just down the road waterdagon wink.gif a real backyard (not a concrete one where you cant plant anything) bush over the backfence, short walk to a long walking trail through the bush, bout a hundred metres from a dope skatepark biggrin.gif, 200 from the trainstation.

whats your email waterdragon? you said you could get me some seeds wink.gif where i'm moving to there wont be any probs planting em biggrin.gif i got some fresh calea if you wanna swap.

you hear about the green tree? wink.gif bummer eh, you try it?

[This message has been edited by assassin (edited 18 March 2002).]

In a shady spot plant some Brug sanguinea. Keep the calea away from lawn/path edges - it is messy. Gingers in the shade - Kaemferia galanga 20cm high (not Alpina galanga) is active and has very dainty flowers. Trichocereus terscheckii has long hard spines (anti-theft-devices) and the most stunnign and prolific flowers. Tabernaemontanas in the shade (when young) as small trees - stunning perfumed gardenia-like flowers. Catha edulis in full sun as a bush, tree, or hedge. Aptenia cordifolia and various other mesembryanthemums as full sun ground covers. Acacia maidenii makes a good full sun slow growing tree - prune regularly wink.gif. Acorus calamus and gramineus in wet spots. Withani somnifers in full sun as grouncover. Solanum aviculare makea an attractive small tree with lots of flowers and pretty fruit - keep away from paths due to the fruit mess. All the Nicotianas make pretty ornamentals -annuals. Leonurus leonotis in orange, white and pink for prunable hedges. Heimia makes a good hedges, but only at the top. if the hedge gets too tall it thins at the bottom. Eschscholzia californica comes in many colours and self seeds. More if you need it....

Originally posted by assassin:

yeah cool, i would have taken one but it be pretty sus coming back with beer bottles of brug cuttings, especially cause my mum knows what it is. i didn't think about packing it another way.

so how high does this brugs grow? judging by the thickness of the cuttings it was like a brug tree or something. had very nice flowers

i've seen brugs go over two metres but i suspect they'll go a lot higher.

moving just down the road waterdagon wink.gif a real backyard (not a concrete one where you cant plant anything) bush over the backfence, short walk to a long walking trail through the bush, bout a hundred metres from a dope skatepark biggrin.gif, 200 from the trainstation.

don't knock the concrete backyard, during the peak of lawnmowing season i often wish i had one.

whats your email waterdragon? you said you could get me some seeds wink.gif where i'm moving to there wont be any probs planting em

email me at [email protected] about some seeds (try to be vague). u still got calamus?

you hear about the green tree? wink.gif bummer eh, you try it?

haven't got around to attempting the green tree, been busy with other things. did have your report conveyed to me though.

Brug candida (which is what the UKI one seems to be) grows up to 3.5m here. In cooler areas they will be much smaller.

hey sass iv got a spare uki brug if you want it. might be easier to get to you than risking a long post from down south

Guest reville

Chinese star jasmine, Solandra and Banistreiopsis are also great climbers.

There really is no limit for landscaping with

Ethnobotanicals.Except perhaps supply.

But between SAB,Cactus nurseries,Gomaos' garden and the AFSR- you can have a pretty freaky yard

How about the mimosas? like M scabrella

and a mitragyna in a sheltered spot