The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rum and Monkeys

When Rooting a Log.. Soil

Hello all,

I have a realy thick mid cut that was in the mail for way toooooo long but is still green and full of beans...

Besides the fact it was in the dark for too long, when rooting a really thick/big log of cacti, is there a certain soil mix that you use?

I was just going to throw it in a fitting pot with 50/50 coarse sand with sifted cacto soil... ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

depends what species it is, but pure coarse sand or even perlite are good. basically anything that doesnst hold much water should work. 50/50 coarse sand and cactus soil should work well as long as you keep it fairly dry until it starts growing roots

• Like 1

Besides the fact it was in the dark for too long, when rooting a really thick/big log of cacti, is there a certain soil mix that you use?

nah, you'll find it'll root better if it's bigger

I was just going to throw it in a fitting pot with 50/50 coarse sand with sifted cacto soil... ?

that's what i'd do. i cut a cutting in 3 (10cm each) which had been on the shelf for a year and chucked them in a handful of potting mix each, one struck (and has a pup), one rotted (my fault) and the other is busy doing nothing, apparently. just keep it out of the weather over winter and you'll be fine.

Edited by qualia

Ive been using those expanded terracotta balls that are used in hydroponics with really good results. I just pot it up in 100% terracotta-balls, and place it in a sunny east-facing window for 2-3 months with no water. When I'm ready to plant it out or pot it properly, I just lift it straight up out of the balls and have a look at the roots. If I want to give it a bit more time I just pot it back into the terracotta balls again.

WORKS A TREAT!

Sorry but I just remembered to say that if you find the terracotta balls are a bit loose then add a couple handfulls of dry crusher dust (blue metal) to the mix. It seems to help hold it all together a bit better, and if it's a long cutting then I usually put a couple of bricks on top to help support it, just to make sure it doesn't get accidentally knocked over or anything. Good luck :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Ive been using those expanded terracotta balls that are used in hydroponics with really good results. I just pot it up in 100% terracotta-balls, and place it in a sunny east-facing window for 2-3 months with no water. When I'm ready to plant it out or pot it properly, I just lift it straight up out of the balls and have a look at the roots. If I want to give it a bit more time I just pot it back into the terracotta balls again.

WORKS A TREAT!

This idea sounds good :) I will try it out.

Thanks everyone. I guess it won't be too hard to root since they seem to grow pretty well in almost anything. I'm just worried about the cold weather coming. But I guess if it's lasted six months un rooted it will last another few months over the winter (?)