The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

aboriginal names for bush food,etc?

as a few of u may know i started my new

job today smile.gif

it has ALOT more than just plant propagation etc.

i don't have time right now but i'll tell u all aobut it a bit later

anyway we'll be producing native/bush foods

and we've been asked to think of ideas for the name of our company

it has to have something about native/bush foods in it

i was thinking maybe using the aboriginal word fo food, b ush food, native food or something

doles anyone know the aboriginal names for these or something similar?

thanx for any suggestions biggrin.gif

gotta go poost a bit more about it later

aaron

Guest ziebonka

Would you like to know what the aboriginal words are in that area or just anywhere?

[This message has been edited by ziebonka (edited 08 October 2001).]

just a general name for native food

or something sort of meanin g

native food, or something similar, with a catchy name

or

just any id eas for a company name for

a group that does produce out of native

foods

You'd be best specifically identifying & noting which language your translation came from. And its only polite.

I'm currently trying to key out a spp which was identified by a member of one language group, while living in an area owned by the next language group. The two laguages aren't even similar, so its back to good ole Latin botanical names.

Koorie & Murray languages are unbelievably sophisticated in terms of development, inter-relationships, origins, infelctions and grammar. Last count it was estimated tat there were 625 laguages here pre-contact and there are only 325 or so left today. A hell of a lot of ways of expressing life, emotions, processes and externalities are now lost forever. Please consider the Sybilline books as a metaphor ( and look the phrase up if it doesn't make sense already, I hate spoonfeeding ppl)

Maybe even consider that genetic groups of plants, or even that the same group grown under different conditions in separate regions may also contain different compounds. This may affect local names for the same spp also.

Language is a key area for determining social complexity. Anyone who thinks Koories and Murrays are primitive people is a naiive loser using this definition alone. If I had a spare life I'd learn at least Bundjalung and Gumbaynggir. Unfortunately I don't and consider myself the poorer for it

psycho0, go to that little extra trouble, its worth it, and it's only polite.

Try contacting the local indigenous community and find out what terms they use. Not only will this make it more relevant, but there's a chance that they'll introduce you to some more local species and the uses they were put to.

It's also polite to include them. After all, they knew about these plants long before we did, latin names or not.

Incidentally Darklight, where is Gumbaynggir spoken? It registers, but I can't place it. And I'm with you on the matter of learnng languages; if it weren't that I'm wasting countless hours on Welsh, I'd like to learn at least a couple of them.

From the website

" Their area extends from the Clarence River near Grafton in the north, west to Guyra and Ben Lomond, and South to Scotts Head, northern New South Wales, Australia "

I'd put the full addy in but the only page I know on the language contains so little information and so many broken links its embarrassing. And it ain't hosted in Australia either, it's Dutch.

Torsten, I finally found Em's poem here: http://www.fatsil.org/LOTM/dec96.htm. I like the first translation better than the second, but that raises the whole issue of language translation generally and would send this post off topic into space wink.gif

At least Gumbaynggir language is now an HSC approved subject. I recently heard of someone who graduated, last year I think, who studied it as a topic.

Sheesh, fancy living somewhere and not knowing how to speak the language. Or even *one* of them. It's embarrassing...

Guest ziebonka

psychoO,

Sorry I found out that the person who could tell me some words for this only knows a few languages from W.A. which isn't so good. He did save a few aboriginal languages over here and he's famous among some gruops of aboriginals here, I doubt any of you know who he is though. A man called Alan Dench.

"At least Gumbaynggir language is now an HSC approved subject. I recently heard of someone who graduated, last year I think, who studied it as a topic."

Rock and Roll!!! It really puts a perspective on things, tho', thinking about the amazing diversity that we are sitting on and just plum ignoring.

Hwyl!

we voted on a name

we are called

Burning Spear Bush Foods Australia biggrin.gif