The Corroboree
Scarecrow

Getting started with growing medicinal mushrooms

I just watched the BRF/PF tek videos on that website, and it sounds like shiitake would indeed be a good place to start. I would like to try this technique before I start buying expensive equipment, mainly because I'm short for cash at the moment.

Dowels sound like a neat idea but I think I should try and get the basic technique down before I start looking at other methods.

Can anyone suggest a place for me to get spore prints from?

Drop everything.

Just spend some time studying mushroom growing techniques.

It'll really pay off.

Topia and the shroomery would be your main recources.

It'll probably be better if you get a spore syringe or liquid culture syringe. It will make it easier for you to begin with and there'll be less chance of contamination since someone's already some of the hard work for you.

If you are wondering what a liquid culture is then here's an explanation: http://mycology.wikia.com/wiki/Liquid_culture

You could use the water bath method to sterlise your BRF jars but it'll take longer and a pressure cooker is more effective. Get yourself a cheap Presto pressure cooker from Amazon. If you don't have money to invest in a pressure cooker right now then it's probably best if you wait.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366380075&sr=8-2&keywords=presto+pressure+cooker

• Like 1

Hey Scarecrow

Send me a pm with your details etc as I have prints of Shiitake & oysters,

& some spare dowels & if your keen can maybe I can find a slant or plate of shiitake & oyster.

Yeah have to agree a PC is definately needed.

Look at op shops etc too, sometimes you find them there but they wont be very big....

• Like 2