The Corroboree
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

West Aussies experience with seed from other state.

Hi all, I am interested to see what other West Aussie's experiences are with getting seef from other states. I would love to take advantage of these free seed giveaways but am shit scared that some brawley officer will come bashing down my door for an explanation. Should I be worried or not?

Someone that isn't me but is my cats uncle :lol: has had no problems over the last 4 years with plants and seeds. A very large part of my collection has come from the east coast and also a big percentage of my seeds have come from OS. I think seeds coming from the east coast are less likely to get found than plants as they can be sent in a normal envelope. You will also find ebay sellers that wont send plants but will happily send seeds.

If you do get stuff sent over you need to take full responsibility for any losses and It is also best that the sender does not put there details on the package.

Cheers

Got

• Like 3

Haha cheers. If the seeds are found do they just get destroyed or is there a penalty to the buye/purchaser? I know about the quarantine species list but realistically it means shit if seeds are from a private collection. There most likely not going to be treated as quarantine requests for seed to be imported into Australia.

A kind person has offered to send (free of charge) my cat's uncle some N rustica seeds, but the seeds are in NZ. A wise decision or not, if theyre in a simple envelope?

Someone that isn't me but is my cats uncle :lol: has had no problems over the last 4 years with plants and seeds. A very large part of my collection has come from the east coast and also a big percentage of my seeds have come from OS. I think seeds coming from the east coast are less likely to get found than plants as they can be sent in a normal envelope. You will also find ebay sellers that wont send plants but will happily send seeds.

If you do get stuff sent over you need to take full responsibility for any losses and It is also best that the sender does not put there details on the package.

Cheers

Got

Im with GOT's Uncles Cat.

When it comes down to them finding legal seeds coming into WA I would imagine you would get a letter saying we found your seeds, your not meant to bring them in to WA, please don't do it again, or something like that. If they found something like N.rustica maybe thing might be different? I really Don't know so listen to the advise of your fellow WA members before me :wink:! I would like to here the opinions of others.

Good luck either way mate.

Cheers

jox

Edited by Jox

AFAIK, there have been only a few occasions where WAQIS have intervened through the postal system. Most of these interceptions are concerns about possibly contaminated soil or weed species being introduced into the state.

I think Torsten might have a few stories to tell about relations with WA Quarantine. They seem to have a bit of a bee up their asses concerning live plants sent through mail. It is best in this case if all soil has been removed.

Edited by Thelema
  • Like 1

When i was living in WA i had received from interstate massive cuts of cacti , some with spines sticking through the box and with rocks and sand spilling out lol, but never had any problems with quarantine ,so seeds between states should be fine :)

• Like 1

No soil is very important. if your having live plants sent, make sure they are un rooted cuttings or bare rooted cuttings.

Not just becaus eyou dont want your plants stolen, but because its the right thing to do!

• Like 3

Cheers eatfoo. Yeah if I did order plants I would make sure soil was omitted. Down where I am in the Fitzgerald Biosphere theres a heap of endemic native plants. Be a shame if I was contributed to their demise.

• Like 1

Here I was banging on about never getting pinged by quarantine and today I get an empty package and a letter from AQIS telling me they are going to destroy my 1000 Harrisia jusbertii seeds :(

Not interstate but an OS package

Just a note on this they are not on the AQIS list so they are a banned import so I was informed today :innocent_n:

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Go on then, ring the headquarters of AQIS in Canberra. They can give you approval to have the seeds irradiated, even if not on the list.

Thanks Thelema but the letter I have says that I don't have that option . :(

Quote from the letter " Due to the specific risks presented by the items sent to you, treatment is not possible"

Cheers

Got

Don't listen to the letter. Go above their heads and speak to the supervisor in Canberra. They'll give you permission, but you MUST take the line that it is a herbal import intended for consumption, not that you're going to sow them.

• Like 1