The Corroboree
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

Help with WA plants laws.

Hi all,

im trying to wrap my head around something and if someone can either link to another topic if the question has already been answered or just answer the questiion would be much appreciated.

For example, ive heard ephedra nevadensis grows well in my area of perth BUT according to quarantine laws it is a permitted species, however according to SUSMP it is a schedule 4. So can I buy from another state and legally grow or not? Are schedule 9 items the only ones prohibited from posession and/or cultivation?

There are many different acts and laws that govern what you can or cannot grow in WA. If something is legal to import that by no means says its legal to grow or own.

I read on here somewere what Loph's are a "weed" in WA making them illeagle to grow. But not by anything within S9.

Example 2: you can import, own and consume poppy seeds but you cannot grow them.

S4 does not apply to plants.

To ascertain legality in your state you have to look at state drug law, state weed law, federal drug law, etc

ephedra spp are OK to grow in WA.

Harvesting etc is another matter.

OK revised opinion:

ephedra spp. are not under S4 in SUSMP for a start.

Also, in Western Australia I believe the species (and hence seed) is a weed declared by WAQIS.

Also, the live plant and dried plant & extracts are illegal under Poisons Act 1964 (WA)

More than this, live or dried ephedra plants (but not seeds) are banned under national legislation.

So if you're going to grow it, keep it quiet.

Obviously there seems to be some exception for Chinese herbalists!

Edited by Thelema

Sorry, ephedra spp. ARE listed under Schedule 4 of the SUSMP. Which would make possession of the live plant illegal in any jurisdiction that refers to the SUSMP, which WA does.

It seems that many species of plant are listed in S4.

Aren't S9 the prohibited items? S4 are 'prescription only'. Obviously I am not a pharmacist but I don't think they would knock my door down for growing it. It's not like I am going to extract the ephedrine from it.

Edited by PerthShaman