The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
lhb2444

Agave Issue

Hey hey,

A mate of mine living in manly is growing some agave on his balcony (unfortunately I don't know what species or much else about it) but he's recently re-potted it as it was outgrowing his previous pot. He's used a commercial cacti soil, not sure on the brand and they a good amount of light on the 3rd floor balcony facing north, anyway he's notices some spots appearing on it since having been re-potted so he sent me some pictures to see if I could diagnose his problem (which I've got no clue on :) ) so I thought the collective wisdom of members here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

post-9261-0-37251700-1364015033_thumb.jp

post-9261-0-49068100-1364015040_thumb.jp

post-9261-0-37251700-1364015033_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-49068100-1364015040_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-37251700-1364015033_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-49068100-1364015040_thumb.jpg

That's agave americana. Kill it. Kill it with fire.

I've seen one go from 1 foot to 8 foot tall in 2 years after being put in the ground. They're like a blimmen weed! Tell him to bin it and get something nice like agave parryi / attenuata / victoriae-reginae

• Like 2

Being that it's in a pot on a balcony, it has very little weed potential. There are nicer agaves but I'm sure it has a bit of sentimental value, so throwing it out isn't an option.

The blemishes could be from damaging the roots during the repotting process, and weakening the plant so it's more susceptible to sun burn. As it's an extremely fast grower, probably best to remove the damaged leaves and let it grow on in the new pot.

• Like 1

It's also the plant that tequila is made from.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response guys,

It does have value to him so there's no way he'll be getting rid of it, I'll let him know to remove the damaged bits and just to keep an eye on it and see how it progresses then.

Many thanks again!

It's also the plant that tequila is made from.

No it isn't.

• Like 1