The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Scarecrow

Growing Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs in melbourne?

howdy,

i have started studying traditional chinese medicine this year at the southern school of natural therapies, and i've long since had an interest in being able to sustain my own health using just a garden as a primary source of herbs for decoctions. i've asked around at my university and it seems that while we cover herbs as a subject, growing them yourself is not something that's going to be looked at in any detail.

now, i understand there's a few things to consider; for example, not all of the traditional herbs are able to grow in an australian climate, and herb quality/strength is influenced directly by the circumstances in which they are grown... so i was curious to know if any of you have any experience growing herbs locally for traditional chinese medicine? where's a good place to start? any suggestions on what would be most likely to be useful, but which i can grow here easily? i have some fairly good sectioned off garden space available to work with.

i have ordered a book on the topic which looks very interesting and useful, but it's written mainly regarding an american locale. it's gonna take a while to get here anyway, and i'm keen to get started early such that i can have a decent collection ready to use by the time i graduate.

Professor Lim has his clinic in Melbourne. The last I heard he was setting up a garden to supply his practice and for export.

I don't know if he could help sourcing seed or rhizomes ect, but it can't hurt to shoot him a message and see how he replies.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdNU.l0ZRiiwA3wgPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWgwN285BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11g8s3mk1/EXP=1363609534/**http%3a//www.yolandlim.com.au/

• Like 1

hmm, not quite what i'm after... i'm sure i can find a place to get a hold of the seeds and such. i'm more looking for experience/advice regarding what to try to grow and how. thanks though.thanks anyway, though.

There are a LOT of plants & fungi doing the rounds that would fit your request but If your after a one stop shop for TCM seeds, bulbs, cultures & plants you are going to be disappointed. Of if you do happen to find one let me know.

You would do better to draft a wish list & start shopping around, everywhere from our host here to evilbay & everywhere in between. A little here, a little there wil be how you build up your garden.

Just my 2c worth

• Like 1

thanks for the advice, I have been doing just that actually.

if anybody else is interested i found a "list of 50 fundamental chinese medicine herbs" on wikipedia... i'm not sure about the validity of this, but it seems like a good place to start. something to narrow it down, at least!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_herbology#50_Fundamental_herbs

i hadn't really expected such a list, but having found this i'm encouraged that there would be similar lists available elsewhere, so i'll try looking for those more specifically.

just aside, on the topic of wishlists, i'm curious to know if there's a thread around somewhere regarding these? something along the lines of you being able to post things you're interested in, along with reasoning, and others might do the same and give each other ideas/suggestions of things to try or add to their list?

Edited by Scarecrow
  • Like 1

just aside, on the topic of wishlists, i'm curious to know if there's a thread around somewhere regarding these?

You can add a 'my wish list' thread under the 'Seed and plant exchange' sub forum here.

Good luck in your travels Scarecrow :)

• Like 1

You can add a 'my wish list' thread under the 'Seed and plant exchange' sub forum here. Good luck in your travels Scarecrow :)

thanks! sounds like a plan.