The Corroboree
planthelper

carnegiea gigantea areola grafting, which rootstock?

i have trouble finding online information, which cacti/succulents would make a good areola grafting stock for the saguaro.

i assume, opuntia, pereskiopsis and echinopsis ought to be all good candidates.

this cacti seems to be rare, and extreemly slow, so areola grafting seems worth my while.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

Pereskiopsis makes the areola pup the fastest however its possible to graft to any of those cacti. I would choose pereskiopsis first than opt for opuntia as a second selection. You can also use trichocereus sp. however they take longer to pup. Any fast growing cacti would be a good choice.

I'm not so sure how rare saguaro seeds are in Australia however they are plentiful here in the US. What is rare are mature specimens (branching) since they take so long to grow. I would graft seedlings over areolas since it's easier. If I'm not mistaken it takes 50 years for the first branch to start.

Edited by modernshaman
  • Like 2

I come across seeds available in Australia quite often, I even see crested/monstrose saguaro seeds.

@ PH, Do you have a plant you can take areoles from? I would agree with modernshaman & think you would be better of getting seeds & grafting seedlings.

I have a heap of Carnegia seedlings if you want try your hand at grafting them PH.

• Like 1

i didn't know that it's aswell common in oz, probably they same thing happend, as when you buy a car, suddenly you see a lot of those cars of the same brand, which you, never have seemed to noticed before.

i got an offcut of a carnegiea, which i will not waste, so i go ahead, with the areola grafting anyway.

sallyD's seedlings offer, i will thankfully accept, and send you a pm.

bummer they are so slow growing, but i will see them branching once i hit 101, so that's ok.

i trimmed heaps of pedros, and oputunias today already, so i'll be ready to graft in a few day's.

got some, peres ready to graft, and will take more peres cuttings tomorrow, i'm excited.

• Like 1

following the discussion which mushroomman started, i will follow the advice of mutant and co, and try some grafts using selenicereus aswell, because i will degraft them anyway.

however, there is aswell another aspect, i want to investigate, and that is, how various stock, has a different effect onto the scion, regarding, the distribution of the stocks vascular bundles, into the scion.

i know so far only what happens if you, use pers as stock and loph as scion. and the result is that around 1/3 and more of the loph will display, intergrown vascular bundles of the peres.

i dislike this, because if i degraft this loph, i got two options, leave the peres vascular bundles inside the loph, or cut them out.

i choose the second option, because the peres parts inside the loph, will probably cause problems at a later stage (a rotting object inside the loph).

if the scion was pedro, than one could probably more liberaly cut away all traces of peres inside the pedro, but i want to know how each stock, affects the scion with it's vascular bundles regardless.

in short, for me the ideal stock would have to be, something which interferes the least ammount with the scion, for reasons given above! :)

• Like 1

I might have to cut one of my saguaro areola off and have a go too once I get some more grafting stock :)

I might have to cut one of my saguaro areola off and have a go too once I get some more grafting stock :)

you know, if you would just go for a walk, in syd preferable where the rich folk live (and the warmer parts), you probably end up spotting many hylocereus or selenicereus plants in the trees or where ever. than all you have to do is ask for a cutting, plant enthusiasts like to give away cuttings...

bummer they are so slow growing, but i will see them branching once i hit 101, so that's ok.

hold your horses ph, you dont have to wait until you're 101, you can see mine branching.... :wink:

post-3765-0-01875600-1363050467_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-13194300-1363050446_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-13194300-1363050446_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-01875600-1363050467_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-13194300-1363050446_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-01875600-1363050467_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

oooommm, soooo jealous, no i'm not, this hobby of ours teaches us, not to be envious....

this is a very inspiring photo, and one can see, that you are getting a very good yearly growth rate.

btw, i just did an areola of a carnegiea, using a short spined bridge as stock, but i give it little hope, and it was very tricky, to do.

Edited by planthelper

Don't forget Pachycereus Pringlei!!! a.k.a. Argentine Saguaro

I got a really nice one locally after dreaming about him the night before .... I need to find a mate for him tho (not sure he's a he)
They come in male / female and Hermes :P

post-11432-0-00417600-1363057939_thumb.j

post-11432-0-00417600-1363057939_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-00417600-1363057939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 1

that one is named after the guy who invented the reconstructed potatoe chip, hehehe.post-70-0-35604200-1363128250_thumb.jpg

i had the idea looking at a carnegiea, he exclaimed....

images.jpg

images.jpg