The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Nice protest on a Friday arvo!

Did anyone else attend the peace rally in Melbourne on Friday?? Great turnout!!

Likewise for Brisbane :D good to see so many people from across the board All ages creeds from all across the political spectrum...Also nice to hear close to 100,000 people say they wont elect johnny at the next election..

Too bad I got my wallet and keys stolen on the train home. He has my house keys, my car keys and my address. On the other hand, I have boards with nails though at the doorways, a nice 5 iron, and one hell of an axe to grind.

I was at the Perth rally on Saturday and was blown away by the amount of people there.

However, I was disappointed in the local news coverage. It's easy to see where channels 9 and 7 place their alliances.

too bad John Howard is just ignoring the protests and doesn't believe it is a true reflection of anti-war opinion. according to him "I don't know that you can measure public opinion just by the number of people who turn up to demonstations".

-bumpy

MrBumpy:

too bad John Howard is just ignoring the protests and doesn't believe it is a true reflection of anti-war opinion. according to him "I don't know that you can measure public opinion just by the number of people who turn up to demonstations".

-bumpy

He wont last the next election.

Well, this morning, I got all the locks in the house replaced, made a statement to the police, paid for a new license, contacted the train company about security tapes and cancelled my bank card.

Oh, and then got a call saying they've found my wallet.

Yep, I was in Perth. It rocked! I'm wondering what Howard thinks IS a good indication of public opinion? Is he even pretending that this is a democratic government?

*shakes head in despair.....*

Jetblack, you need a hug.

funny to hear the spin doctors trying to talk down the crowd numbers. had the misfortune to hear that fucking laws idiot (upper echelon glove puppet see ray martin, steve leidman etc) on the radio this morning - full on damage control mode. wheeled out the handful of bush/blair/howard supporters that remain in the world so they could spew forth phrases like 'our wonderful prime minister' etc. wonder how many thousand people they had to screen to find the idiots?

the people have the numbers, the media has lies and is not afraid to use them. protesters should now take the only option that remains: economic boycott of all u.s products and companies. this war is being carried out in the name of profits and empire building, we're all guilty of aiding the war effort every time we spend. dubya and his cronies will get the oil but economic boycotts will hit them where it hurts.

I think its interesting that I just saw on a late night news update that a 'recent opinion' pole suggests that the majority of Australians would support military involvement against iraq is sanctioned by the UN.

no.1 ) has anyone, or anyone you know ever actually been part of an opinion pole? cause it obviously wasn't taken in any major CBD on the weekend

no.2) I thought the main issue ( I dunno about the rest of you, sure, any war is bad) was taht people were mainly getting pissed that the US, UK and Aus were saying they were going to go to war with or without UN sanction....so this opinion pole is pretty irrelevant at the moment.

-bumpy

oh yeah, almost forgot ( well, not almost, because I did forget in my first post)...I just got off the phone with a family member who was in the march in London, and was told about some of the signs they saw...their favourite was one that read "Bombing for Peace is Like Shagging for Virginity" I like there style

-bumpy

One government dork said on tv yesterday that IF the UN sanctioned war with Iraq, then the opinion poll would have 60% of Australians for it.

I doubt that very much...

I'm a strong believer in international bodies and autonomy (to a certain extent of course - I AM posting on this board and god knows the ramifications of a hemogenous global body), and i think the US is doing a good job of making them into a moot institution by defying any potential veto carried out by the security council. These instutions regulate global politics and decisions and without them in place the world would revert back to global anarchy.

Oh and btw, great to see the turnouts at the protests, It was nice to see Crean sticking the facts to this pathetic incumbent liberal govt. Gives me some hope yet for a better future.