The Corroboree
space cadet swami

Acacia ID...please

So, when I put down this seed I thought they were obtusifolia's, now I've got no idea. There are no thorns on the plant & the taller one stands about 1.5mtr. The pics were taken on dusk so the leaves have closed up, but they are normally open during the day.

post-11175-0-81461700-1361444656_thumb.j post-11175-0-71939500-1361444700_thumb.j post-11175-0-92904200-1361444747_thumb.j

I need to know the species so I can plant it, or destroy it if it's an invasive species.

Cheers...spacey

post-11175-0-81461700-1361444656_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-71939500-1361444700_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-92904200-1361444747_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-81461700-1361444656_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-71939500-1361444700_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-92904200-1361444747_thumb.jpg

could very well be hostillis, or correctly "Mimosa tenuiflora".

it self seeds, and the seeds can fly far, i guess yes it can turn invasive, once it produces seeds, which will never happen in pots though (takes 7 years in the ground).

Edited by planthelper

could very well be hostillis, or correctly "Mimosa tenuiflora".

it self seeds, and the seeds can fly far, i guess yes it can turn invasive, once it produces seeds, which will never happen in pots though (takes 7 years in the ground).

I have hostilis growing near them & they're not the same to look at. There's no thorns on this plant...this plant seems to have pinate leaf development only, like hostilis but larger leaflets. The seed looked like an acacia seed, not a mimosa.

Does that help at all..? :scratchhead:

Also PH, slightly off topic but...if mimosa trees seed at 7yrs, would that have been when the tree would have been harvested..?

EDIT: You got me thinking, so I went yo check on the 2 species. The mimosa leaf closes back in towards the main trunk at night...folding down nice & neatly. Whereas this plant doesn't, only the leaflets close up....Hmmm

Edited by space cadet 101

chances are you nailed it, my idea, is definately wrong, even just the seeds tells us.

but there is a thorn free hostillis around.

i never thought, whats the earliest, and soundes age to harverest hostillis, they sure produce alks, before they even flower the first time, but 7 years or older is good.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

i got obuse seeds from a well known online store for herbs. i planted them to find they were the exact same plant shown here. so, i looked through all plant seeds on the site i bought from assuming a mix up at some level there. i thought it was acacia baileyana.

• Like 1

oh, if you want some obtuse seeds messege me. im sure i got a few round here somehere.

• Like 1

i think "

Acacia spectabilis: Mudgee wattle" is WAY off =) WAAAAAY OFF LOL. im sticking with my ID on this one.

• Like 1

ghostly - obtusifolia should only have bi-pinnate leaves in the seedling stage & normally after a few months they start growing true phyllodes, if your plant is that big I don't thinks it's obtusifolia. Have you got any pics ?

I'm not sure on the ID on yours Spacey, maybe check for jugary glands and see if anyone can get a better idea. There's are great site for wattle ID's, but it could take a of bit homework to fill all the required fields in on the form.

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/PlantNet/WattleWeb/ident.php

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 1

reminds me of Acacia farnesiana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vachellia_farnesiana

But im no expert

^^^thorns...so it can't be this one.

i got obuse seeds from a well known online store for herbs. i planted them to find they were the exact same plant shown here. so, i looked through all plant seeds on the site i bought from assuming a mix up at some level there. i thought it was acacia baileyana.

^^^the leaflets are too fine.

Thx for the link Sally...

Thx to everyone for their input...I'm pretty sure it's Acacia spectabilis: Mudgee wattle. The leaflet size is a dead ringer.

I spent about 4hrs searching through a database last night & spectabilis was the only one with the same type of larger leaflets.

• Like 1

dont forget the color of the stems and the multiple glands etc. i stick to what i have said. it is by no means obtuse. i have a deep love for obtuse and can spot it when i see it from rather a long ay off. it has something about it that talks to me, phucks me what though =P i often travel deep into the junles and highlands to sit under them for lunch. i love them! sally D, where have i heard those very words from in times of late? LOL the seller. they got to about 5 foot when i decided i didnt like where they were at. they were pulled and ne new seed planted to go into a better location for that plant. i do love my awesome natives. my fav is still toss-up between obtuse and the soapy wattle.

• Like 1

Ok...so I talked to the guy where the seed came from & it turns out that his supplier comes from Mudgee.

Could this be a coincidence, or are these plants in fact "Mudgee Wattles"...it's looking good for my ID ghosty :P .

Thx again guys...*thumbs up