The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

New drug gives Malaria a salt overdose

Malaria buckles to salt

MALARIA claims around 655,000 lives a year, but research suggests that salt alone could be enough to kill the deadly parasite.

Australian National University researchers have found that the microscopic parasite living in the red blood cells of an infected person can die within hours if it suffers a salt overdose.

Seeking to establish how the parasite controls its salt balance as part of her PhD research, Natalie Spillman found that pumps dotting the parasite's body are crucial for it to rid itself of salt.

That discovery coincided with a paper outlining a potential new antimalarial drug - which, fortuitously, targeted these salt pumps. However, the drug developer was initially unaware of the precise role of the key protein played with salt regulation.

''We sent off an email asking for some samples and we have shown that, sure enough, it stops the salt pump working,'' physiologist Kiaran Kirk said. ''As soon as we added the drug, the parasite fills up with salt and dies.''

The findings have been published in Cell Host & Microbe.

Professor Kirk, Dr Spillman's former supervisor, said because the malaria parasite evolved at such a rapid rate, it quickly outsmarted anti-malarial drugs and built resistance.

He said this discovery could lead to a new class of antimalarial drugs that would take the parasite much longer to overcome.

The drug that stops the salt pumps is now in clinical trials - the first drug with a new chemical structure in human trials for 20 years.

''This is like nothing that has been used before,'' Professor Kirk said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/malaria-buckles-to-salt-20130214-2efr8.html

• Like 1

thats very good news, malaria is no fun, i can vouch for that, the hallucinations were not bad though, and i did survive it, hehehe.

it's the biggest killer in the world, funny enough, todays paper said, malaria clincs are closed down, in the torres strait, and this could lead to the spread of this disease, even in australia.

• Like 1

what were the hallucinations like, PH?

like 'flu hallucinations? with disorientation and malaise?

compare to a plant?

yeah, its called MMS, and its full on! I dosed with it a couple of times in Cambodia quite a few years back and it stopped some quickly amplifying sicknesses

dead in their tracks within four hours!

I also over dosed with it back in australia after that, when I woke up in the middle of the night experiencing some onset flu symptoms,

was far too blase with measurements, ratios and common sense, and then threw up half hourly for the next 10 hours.

Dont think i can ever touch it again.

*edit- canna spell

Edited by LokStok

what were the hallucinations like, PH?

like 'flu hallucinations? with disorientation and malaise?

Biologist Albert Russel Wallace came up with one of the biggest breakthroughs in science while in a fevered state form malaria - the theory of evolution.

Must be good shit, lol, kinda like a snake bite I'm guessing??? Actually I'm about to spend a few days in Lae, and I'm a bit worried for my safety. It's the 'home of Malaria' they tell me :(

I heard that you use sodium chloride... it was a while I head about it so im not 100% sure it was chloride bit I know that tsome people use it to clean their teeth and to get rid of worms and other parasites on the body. Im sure if you google it I know a fella tested it on some 10, 000+ people and got a 99% positive cure rate within 4 hours. Also heard it is illegal to produce at home due to it also being deadly or something...