The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tlaloc

Does the 10% still apply?

Here in Vic, the local Govt.(thanx Bracksie :mad: ) recently changed the laws regarding road speeds.

Previously, a 10% buffer was applied to all motorists e.g If the Signed speed on a road was 110 km/h one could be doing 120 km/h and not be booked by the police, but NOW , as soon as one is doing 114 km/h (just 4 km/h Over the designated speed limit) BANG $135 fine- in the mail.

Just wondering if in NSW and / or in QLD whether the 10% still applies.

Or have the peoples in those States also been swindled by corrupt political money making fiends disguised as politicians.

HO!

"VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!"

Tlaloc the Pissed

no shit they book you for goin 4 k's over the limit. liek i dont want to rub you up the wrong way but if it was my way anyone going over the speed limit at all would be fined ot teh harshest of penalties. Its a speed limit not a speed you have to be going, i would drive 10ks slower if it saved just one life. When someone close to you is injured or even dies becaseu of a speeding accient then youwill understand. the speeding kills arnt some govt. propagana add, its true.

Cheers Sominif.

Slippery Noodle, please don't get me wrong, I am in full agreement with the preservation of human life. However 4 Lane free-ways are perhaps a different matter.

I have a question for you: If the maximum legal speed one can travel on the open road is 120 km/h then why in the hell do government bodies and car manufacturers keep building engines that are designed to go 240 km/h Plus

It would be much simpler, Cheaper and more efficient - not to mention the amount of lives saved on our roads, if Engines are built to achieve a top speed of 120 km/h

But then again, that would be too sensible :rolleyes:

Tlaloc

"why in the hell do government bodies and car manufacturers keep building engines that are designed to go 240 km/h Plus"

Its a great source of government income, where do you think the cash from those traffic tickets go?

As for car manufacturers- the faster you go the more accidents you get in and the more wear and tear on the car, so the more of their products you buy.

I dont know how it is in Australia, but in the US MOST consumer products nowadays are designed to break within a year. I desperatly need to find a checoslovakian or russian hardware store so I can buy things that might last a reasonable ammount of time. Ultra-capitalist ultra-affluent countries like the US just dont make good products.

Thats an appropriate answer, to a rhetorical question.

[ 04. February 2003, 15:13: Message edited by: Tlaloc ]

Just to clear something up you actually have to be going SEVEN kilometres over the speed limit to get snapped by the camera. They will then let you off 3kms as a margin of error or what have you.

My dad (who is a complete fucking bludger) get's paid (something like a whopping 14 bux an hr) to go and park a camera car on the side of the road, stick the flash box out the front and then sit in the car for 6 hours. Over the course of this 6 hours he can eaily clock up half a million dollars in fines (this is no exageration) depending on where he puts the car. So much for "we aint revenue raising". Like hell they aren't.

My dad can literally talk for hours about how radars work and what not and so forth and bla bla bla but seriously, these things are fucking accurate, and yes you do have to be going SEVEN kms over the speed limit. the operators can set it to whatever the fuck they want to really but at the moment it's seven. Used to be 10, then moved down to nine, currently it's at seven.

I only have one demerit point left and that's coz somebody took 3 points for me once. I've handed over big $$$$ in fines to the fuggin justice department, I barely ever speed now.

CS,

('praps you don't know the answer to these but

my curiousity prys)

So who determines where the Camera car is going to

sit - obviously there are a number of 'usual'

locations where the car is placed, but is he

scheduled for a specific location for a specific

time. If he is scheduled, any idea how far ahead

of time he knows?

Know the feeling about one demerit point - makes

you drive *very* carefully (almost shat myself

when a cop decided to flash his red'n'blue lights

from behind me last night at 3am - just passing

by me though)

BTW CS ever considered that you have an excess of

close relative in LEOish roles?

A couple of years ago I lost all of my demerit points and had to go on the 12 month challenge, had a couple of close calls, but I made it :D

A few years ago I had 11 demerit points and really didn't see myself not loosing that last one. So I intentinally lost it (easy), figuring I would simply pay the fine, have my license suspended for 6 months and then have a clean license back. There were a couple of flaws in that thinking so I thought I would share them with you.

1. Points are only added once the payment has been made. I sent a cheque and went overseas for a few months to sit out most of the 6 month suspension. When I got back I found out that the cheque had not been cashed (lost??). When I then made the payment, my 6 months suspension started almost immediately :(

2. Insurance companies do not give insurance to people who have been suspended for loss of points. Even though i used a broker (I had been a good customer of for 8 years) to try and find a company that would take me, none would. 12 months later I ended up paying about triple for my policy and had a $3,000 excess that I could not buy out for 12 months.

quote:

A few years ago I had 11 demerit points...

Ouch, ouch, ouch. That is most informative.

Personally I can almost stomach the fines thrown

at me, (I have a high tollerance due to once having

regularish parking fines which were excessive ie

$50 for overstaying a 2 hr zone) but the points

really hurt.

I considered purchasing a Radar detector (could

be legally sold in Western Australia and Queensland

if I recall correctly)

But then I discovered that Radar Detector Detectors

are a real thing, (radar detectors like many

recievers also transmit noise above and below the

frequency being recieved - each commercial radar

detector model has a particular spectrum

fingerprint which can be detected by the Radar

Detector Detector) and the penalties for being

caught with one in Vic were big.

I also didn't like the idea of cop stopping me and

searching through my car in search of the Detector.

http://www.radarlaser.com.au/raddetdt.htm has

some information about Radar Detector Detectors

and the site in general is pretty interesting

(though they are trying to flog their RD's so

keep that in mind when reading their claims)

[ 05. February 2003, 21:15: Message edited by: somnif ]

Australia is at the forefront of radar detector detector development. There are several systems, but the most severe system "Stalcar" is used in NSW, Vic and Qld. WA and NT don't have any R.D.D.'s. The other states just have VG2 detectors.

Cloaked overseas models of radar detectors are only cloaked for VG2. Stalcar hasn't been around for very long. In fact, about 4 years ago Daniel was the first person in australia to be detected with a VG2 cloaked radar detector. I informed my supplier who told me that this was impossible. Still, I kept the other unit in MY car turned off while in the Northen NSW area. Then I went away for a few days and left the car with Daniel who forgot to keep the detector turned off and got himself busted with it only a few days after the first one, by the same cop, the same copcar, only 5k's from where he got done the first time. Funny thing is, Daniel wasn't speeding on either occasion, which is what finally convinced the supplier that there was a problem. (daniel got lumped with $1000 fine for each detector offence and had to hand in the units).

As radar detectors are illegal to be used, but legal to possess, we swapped our second unit for a broken unit from the supplier, and handed in the broken unit. The original unit was examined for possible frequency leaks etc, but nothing was found. About 3 months later it became obvious that a new detection system had been developed in australia and that NSW police were trialling it. This was "stalcar".

The big companies overseas have not bothered cloaking against stalcar as it hasn't been used anywehre else. Canada has started using Stalcar now and if Bel wants to keep its market share there, they will soon have to come up with new models. In australia there are two sources for Stalcar cloaked units. One of them seems to modify an overseas model and I am not sure if this is reliable. The other is an australian made unit and I have good reaosn to believe that the developer of this cloaked unit was also involved in developing the original stalcar detection system. if this is the case, then you gotta give this guy credit for playing both sides and for creating himself a huge market. Or you could just call him scum.

Anyway, I don't have a stalcar cloaked unit at the moment and haven't personally tried them yet. however, general feedback is good.

That doesn't deal with laser traps though. As I used to use a radar detector mostly for nighttime highway driving (you know, the time when the cops are bored shitless and book you for 3 k's over), laser wasn't an issue for me. I have successfully used a laser jammer (careful, most are detectable), but better than anything is a laser refraction plate cover.

And for all those who will criticise me for speeding.... yes, I do. I do over 80,000km per year and about 80% of that is long distance and at night. 110 is simply not an acceptable limit for a freeway when there is no car in sight. Surely ther eis a difference between a 1972 4 cyl dodgy corolla rattler doing 125 on the freeway or whether a car designed and maintained for safety and handling does that sort of speed. Also, I fully agree that 110 is NOT an appropriate speedlimit during schoolholidays. The highways are chockfull of people who only get on the open road once a year and simply don't have a grasp of it.

I drive according to what the road safely allows. if I don't know the road then I will not go fast. The number of times I have almost been wiped out by incompetent drivers cannot be counted on 4 hands (one of the reasons why i fly more these days). So while I would never consider using a radar detector in towns, I have no problem with using it on open road - especially at night. There is some speedchecking I don't agree with and I used to feel the need to protect myself from it. However, I would never argue with a radar trap being placed near a school or in a black spot.

somnif:

So who determines where the Camera car is going to

sit - obviously there are a number of 'usual'

locations where the car is placed, but is he

scheduled for a specific location for a specific

time. If he is scheduled, any idea how far ahead

of time he knows?

Either the Police or a company called LMT. LMT are the people that own all the shit. i think the police own the vehicles and LMT own the cameras and the radars adn what have you. I could be totally wrong though, i barely ever speak to my dad and when I do it's usually about bitches or he wants me to fix his computer. He will know fairly well in advance where the camera car has to be, I think it's even on his roster. I could call him up on any given day and he can pretty much tell me where all the camera cars in the local area are going to be parked and at what times etc.

I can give you his email address if you like and you can ask him anything you like about radars and what not, im sure he wouldn't mind a bit, he loves tooting his own horn. Infact if you tell him your a mate he might even give you a heads up on locations

p.s LEOish roles? I think I know what you mean here and trust me you don't know the half of it