The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heretic

Error 105 - can somebody help ?

My computer runs Telstra pre-paid wireless 4G mobile Broadband . It works really well when in a big city , but I live in a small town - where it runs much slower and is plagued with " Errors " , esp Error 105 , but also other errors as well . Seems to work okay late at night , but can drive me nuts at other times of day . I have downloaded " Smart PC Fixer " program , but it does not seem to be of much help , and I often end up with " computer rage " . Anybody know of a fix for this problem ??

Telstra isnt currently supplying 4g to most rural areas it is 3g on a 4 g device. They arextremely overpriced, take the device back and demand a refund or at least a get out of contract free card and look at someone like iinet adsl package ordare i say it dodo, dodo has unlimited and does not speed reduce but theservice is absolutely terrible esp their call centres.

Change providers and go iinet cheapest and the fastest

Thanks for the advice - I am not at all computer savvy . Today has been the usual hassle until just now - evening 9-30 pm . Was previously with Optus , until their tower broke down , and they were not going to replace it , so they refunded all of my pre-paid money , although I had used up half of it [ 6 months ] - pretty good , I reckon ... But their service was just as bad as now , though ...I thought these " Errors " must have been a problem with my computer , although I had the same hassles with my previous computer . So frustrating at times that I give up until late at night at times . Was amazed at how well it worked when in Melbourne recently - 4 G , I suspect ...

If your remote then IInet likely wont service your area. They have decent coverage in WA (there home state), but even in WA Telstra has better coverage. Have a look on wirlpool forums for your "dongle", you could have a shit model or maybe your remote enough to warrent a more powerful "dong". However as its only time of day, its more likely network traffic.

Best of luck

iinetet piggybacks on telstra lines same as dodo and beleive it or not optus where optus does not havd cable in place.the service is adsl not adsl2 but still better than dongle in rural.

Yea I always thought iinet used the Telstra lines

iinet has its own infrastructure and will put customers on it when it can because it's cheaper than leasing it from another carrier (such as Telstra). If iinet doesn't have its own ADSL infrastructure in your area then it will piggy back from Telstra. However, the iinet mobile phone service uses Optus' infrastructure.

If you can get ADSL then I'd recommend getting it. Despite the initial setup fees you'll get more bang for your buck. You'll get a faster, better connection and more data. However, you might also have access to the NBN network at the moment or soon. Most of the network will run on fibre optic cable but for some remote areas you'll be serviced by a wireless network. You can find more information here: http://www.iinet.net.au/nbn/nbn-coverage-map.html

Also, do you even have the 4G infrastructure in your area? Despite your having a 4G mobile broadband device, your area might not even have the infrastructure which will limit you to 3G services. Furthermore, the higher frequencies which are used by 3G and 4G services do not travel very far or very well. So, if you are not very close to an antenna or if you have lots of trees, buildings, hills etc in between you and the antenna then your connection will be poor or non existent. The link below will reveal whether or not you have 4G access in your area.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/mobile-broadband/

If you want to find where a mobile communications tower is in relation to your residence and which carriers are using it then use this site:http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_proximity.main_page

If you don't know your latitude and longitude then get it off Google Maps. Google Earth has a measurement tool which you can use to find where the closest tower/provider is. This might help you guys find a provider that gives you decent signal strength.

Lastly, if you want a cheap phone plan then use Kogan. For just under $25 a month (if you pay yearly) you get unlimited calls and text messages and 6GB worth of data each month. It also uses the Telstra 3G network so the reception is awesome.

I suspect my area operates on 3G , judging by how much better and faster it worked in Melbourne . My guess is the problems may be caused by heavy usage at certain times of day , because there are no hassles late at night . Many thanks for the replies and advice . Today it is working okay - all the kiddies are back at school now , so there are probably less people onl line atm . Some days though I just have to give up , and wait until late evenings ....

Yeah, being in the city can be good for coverage but being in a densely built area can make it worse because of signal attenuation. If your provider tries to fix the situation and there are residents or schools nearby then they cry bloody murder and try to do everything in their path to stop development, even though they all use mobile phones etc.

There's a website that has a database of all the letters from residents about different towers etc. Some of the letters are pretty funny to read and you realise how stupid and hypocritical people are, like the people who write a letter saying that they and their children will get cancer and then demand that someone call them on their mobile phone to discuss the problem further.

Also, if you're in an area that has poor reception for what ever reason then you might be able to get yourself one of these femtocells. You connect it to a broadband connection and it gives you mobile phone reception around that area. Some providers have them for sale. If you buy one through your provider then it might be worth asking for a discount or something on the device since they aren't providing you with a decent service and you're having to buy this device to fix it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell