The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halif

Messing with children (article from The Age)

EDIT: I read this on The Age website but it comes from the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/behaviour-study-aims-to-discover-children-at-risk-of-drug-and-alcohol-problems-20130130-2dl6h.html

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Edited by Halif

i find it interesting and stupid. the reasons we have drug issues i think is due to the fact we are without culture. compounds as such are taken outside of what would otherwise be cerimonies etc. and hence leads to abuse of compounds. the world has become beyond spastic and we need to return to our roots, and soon =)

• Like 2

I think the way this is phrased is exactly the reason I don't like this idea. Specifically, the bit where it says that 'children would be targeted with four traits'.

I assume they mean that children who already have those four traits would be focused on for the study, but the wording suggests to me that they are in fact implanting ideas into children before they even have a chance to develop their personalities. What I don't like about this is the idea that by creating studies and programs which say that certain children are going to be substance abusers, they are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Who has the authority and wisdom to foretell what any person may or may not do?

Nicola Newton, a chief investigator in the school project, said children would be targeted with four personality traits known to put them at higher risk of drug and alcohol misuse: anxiety, impulsivity, negative thinking and sensation seeking.

• Like 1

"Who has the authority and wisdom to foretell what any person may or may not do?" the australian government of course =P

• Like 1

If at risk children are singled out in school that'll go down really well in the playground.

"You're gonna be a druuuuuuggy! You're gonna be a druuuuuuggy!"

It'll add more animosity to drug users for a new generation, make it easier to get stricter laws passed.

It'll be casting a negative light on alcohol though so at least it won't be focused only on drug use.

• Like 1

they should go a few steps further, throw anxious bored kids in juvie centres run by catholic priests, sponsored by narnocon.

• Like 1

"Who has the authority and wisdom to foretell what any person may or may not do?" the australian government of course =P

Haha! Yeah, sorry, I forgot that.

All heil the Australian Godvernment!