The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

Using White Oil in Summer

Hi, guys.

Can any experienced people give me advice on using white oil on cacti in Summer?

I have some trichs and pereskopsis that need it. I am guessing I will have to move all of the pots into a shady area when spraying them but I am not sure how long I will need to do this for etc. Any help is appreciated.

Are you sure you want to risk it? Have you seen what can happen when using white oil on cacti?

Tell us more about this "white oil".. What brand is it? what are the contents and active ingredients. Is it synthetic etc.

What pest are you trying to kill?

Yeah, I made the mistake of using it before which is why I plan to use an environmentally friendly one made from olive oil, washing detergent and water. It's for scale.

I hate white oil and do not use it or recommend it on cacti ever.

• Like 1

I use azadirachtin... it works great but I haven't tested it under sunlight.. under fluros it poses absolutely no issues on my pereskies other than a little shiny residue that fades away... its a neem product, but way better than just plain neem...
I started by testing one plant that had barely rooted, and since I have sprayed it on all of mine more than once... its a great product that serves many purposes.... anti feedant, anti eggs, growth regularor and repellant...

its not the cheapest. but its OMRI listed which I think means organic or something.. its a concentrated vegetable based product and

works tremdous for mites, thrips and its been the best thing I've found for soft brown scale and their crawlers... It doesn't kill critters immediately and you have to get every leaf top and bottom or they can settle in spots but its repels most of them for the most part.... and usually you have to do 2 or 3 applications but i've had it do the trick in one go on a light infestation... Its also safe for soil drenching and hydroponic resevoirs... But I won't even consider spraying regular cacti with it...

I have tested this efficiently on kratom too which is supposed to be sensitive to neem and other products.. I used it on a 7 or 8 inch tall rooted cutting and it repels quite nicely...

as for triches, sulfur powder works better than one might guess for mites and little critters as so many here have recommended, but I wouldn't know what to tell you for scale... I do think it repels scale crawlers but I am not absolutely sure... the type I had don't mess with these cacti, or it could have been cause I thought I had thrips and dusted them so I dunno... I found a few crawlers on a couple that I oringally thought were thrips, they were leaving behind tiny red dots of dung but never made any bites,, it was quite strange...... On my Sansevierias, they try to attach and then just dry up so I keep them around as a scale killer but that maybe just the one variety of brown scale...

Edited by Spine Collector

This worked a treat for me. The idea was to combine a natural carrier oil (pyrethrum) with nicotine (confidore) and any other useful poison eg chilli juice.

I guess you could do the same with Neem as the carrier.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32205&hl=%2Bsinister+%2Bnew+%2Bspray