The Corroboree
Sir Jeans

Photo of the woody core of a grafted cactus after 18 months of growth

When I first started grafting, I used to wonder what would happen at the point where the stock meets the scion. Would it develop a strong woody core? Or would it always be kinda weak and vulnerable to breaking? If you've ever wondered about it, this photo might interest you.

After 18 months of growth, I had to remove a Trichocereus Scopulicola scion from the Pachanoi stock it was grafted to. I made the cut at the exact point where the two plants were originally grafted to each other. Even though it's a bit blurry, you can see that the graft was successful, and a strong woody core had developed. I doubt you would even know it was grafted if I hadn't just told you!

post-10185-0-64022300-1356774601_thumb.j

post-10185-0-64022300-1356774601_thumb.jpg

post-10185-0-64022300-1356774601_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I agree... the strength of the core and union between tricho scion and tricho stock is incredible!

That said, I always use caution with tricho scions grafted to peres stocks, as I've accidentally knocked off a t. bridgesii scion from a peres stock before. In this case the scion had a woody core, but the peres seemed weak in comparison at the union. Just my 2 cents :wink:

• Like 1

Peres is awesome but will let you down eventually.