The Corroboree
bullit

huge black rot help!!!!

dont know what to say ! my gut hurts! what should i do? the rot goes to the core should i cut it in half? will it just heal??? or??????? i have cut rot out of my pedros but this is huge and dont know much bout pachys???? i have had this plant for 6 years its just under a metre tall!!

Hi Bullit. That's a beautiful plant ( Pachypodium lamerei?) and its sad to see it like that :(

If the rot has already spread to the core of the plant, cutting the top off completely might be the only way to save it so that the rot doesn't spread. Dusting the ends with sulphur powder would be a good idea (keep the plant dry as well).

According to sites on the internet, you should be able to stimulate branching by cutting off the top, but I'm not sure whether you can propagate the top as a cutting (can only see conflicting answers on the net). It's worth a shot, however!

Good luck, and keep us updated!

• Like 4

yeah I'd probably stump it and see if it reshoots.

• Like 1

thanx for tha info pin! yes its very sad to c 1 of my cacti favs looking like this!

yeah I'd probably stump it and see if it reshoots.

yo still,cut it just below the rot or stump it??

How squishy is the whole area? If it's mostly or all hard, then I would try dusting with sulfur (put some powder on your palm, close your eyes, and blow it into the hole), maybe fan drying with a blow heater, and then seeing if the rot stabilizes. I can't tell from the photo, but perhaps up to 50% of that cross-section of trunk could survive, maybe even up to 75%, and if that does happen - then it could probably almost fully outgrow the damage later on.

• Like 2

Yeah I'd probably cut it just under the damage and sulphur it off. They do throw suckers so it will grow back fairly quickly I would think. But in saying that I have never done it before so you will have to make the call.

How squishy is the whole area? If it's mostly or all hard, then I would try dusting with sulfur (put some powder on your palm, close your eyes, and blow it into the hole), maybe fan drying with a blow heater, and then seeing if the rot stabilizes. I can't tell from the photo, but perhaps up to 50% of that cross-section of trunk could survive, maybe even up to 75%, and if that does happen - then it could probably almost fully outgrow the damage later on.

the rest of the plant is hard and normal. does bunnings have sulfur powder? SHIT what 2 do next cut the fucker or treat the rot ???

dude I reckon just treat the rot if it gets worse cut the top off. My moneys on the top dying off and it throwing a pup anyway.

• Like 2

I will be watching with anticipation bullit, I would think that has been going on for a while before it got like that. I got a nice Pachy densiflorum a few months ago, when I dug it up I noticed a big black hole in it, full of water. I have decided to let nature take its coarse with mine as it would need a surgeon to fix it!! Mine is still growing & flowering & the big hole has debris rotting in it. The water just sits in the hole till it evaporates, the plant does not seem to take up water from it & it does not seem to bothered the plant at all.

post-11291-0-24165900-1356668112_thumb.j

post-11291-0-89383200-1356668159_thumb.j post-11291-0-55847400-1356668202_thumb.j

From what I have seen Pachy's seem to be able to handle damage & sometimes thrive on it ( The growing tip gets frost damage & dies only to have three new heads emerge for under the damaged area the next spring!) What ever you decide bullit, good luck & keep us posted.

post-11291-0-24165900-1356668112_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-89383200-1356668159_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-55847400-1356668202_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-24165900-1356668112_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-89383200-1356668159_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-55847400-1356668202_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

thankz heaps jox<<>> yeah i saw a lil brown rot and cut it out these pics r the aftermath. dont know what to do? decisions decisions. shit been waiting along time for this baby to flower 'shit'

how can it get rot when i have no water for it, the only water it gets is when it rains a couple of mls a month?

If water is ruled out as a factor (water is always a factor! either too much not enough or at the wrong time!)

and assuming there was no physical damage which initiated the problem,

then I would suspect it is secondary damage after sap suckers (mealy bugs, scale, two spoted mite, thrips etc) have attacked.

Often they do attack plants that have been pushed to the limit with minimal water/nutrients.

Sap suckers can be vectors for bacterial infection, but fungal infections are much more common, and can be introduced as a result of feeding damage.

What to do?

If it is a fungal infection, you could try a fungicide sprayed into the cavity with a pressure spayer, but

personally, I would cut it below and above the affected part to ensure it wont spread,

and give the potted section a good drink & fertilize.

Allow the cut top, to calus off for a few days then plant it up-right in a mix of 50:50 Potting mix:Bedding (coarse) sand, give it a drink and some sun.

And be on the look out for those little sap suckers!

Often ants will herd them like cows and feed off their honey dew (a nice name for what comes out their ass!)

If you see ants on your plants get suspicious!

Increasing plant vigor is the best defense for sap suckers. (ie appropriate watering is key #1)

• Like 1

Upon closer inspection of you photo's, it dose look like there is a scale infestation around the area where the damage is.

The leaves also seem to be curling, which is a water conservation technique by plants to reduce leaf surface area and thereby reduce the amout of water lost from the leaves.

Hopefully you can salvage some life from it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with these plants, but I have a feeling that it will send out new shoots from under the dirt. Based on that (which might be wrong though), I wouldn't be very concerned about trying to conserve the stump - I'd make the cut no higher than halfway between the soil-line and the bottom of the rot. I might even cut a bit lower (and on an angle, too). Good luck!

• Like 1

i have treated the rot and have decided to leave it alone and c what happens :wacko: hope it will scar and keep growin :unsure: fuck its good size hole lol

• Like 1

Sounds good man :)

You can always cut it later if you have to, as it looks like the rot didn't spread very far if it did at all.

• Like 1

Mate I was shown how to deal with this problem twice whilst I was doing a 3 month stint at a nursery in Brisbane on two very big, very expensive Pachypodiums...

First thing you do is make a paste up from Savlon (believe it or not) and Mancozeb powder (use gloves and a mask)

at a ratio of 1:1.

-1 Tablespoon of both Savlon and Mancozeb should make enough paste to cover the diameter of the cut you will need to make, at approx 1 cm thick.

Then the sad, but neccesary part...

You cut just below the wound (on a 45 degree angle), get someone to hold the top section (polystyrene lids from cooler boxes work perfectly, the spines penetrate just enough to not hurt you or the plant)

if after cutting it exposes a soft, dark, smelly core then we cut again a few inches lower until the entire surface of the cut is clear of any bruising etc...

Then you apply the paste generously (don't wait for it to dry up, it's a succulent not a cactus)

Keep it dry!!!!! The paste will harden and eventually flake off, in the meantime the plant will heal and be free of infection and disease and will then throw 2 new branches and you'll have a more interesting looking Pachy =)

The above method I have done twice and both times were successful... it was only ever a few inches below the top of the plant, so as far as what to do with the top half of yours, I'm gonna guess that cutting the rot off the top section and planting it in some clean, sandy mix would be what I would do in hope of it throwing roots. This last bit however is only what I would try, I cannot tell you that works from experience, but the 1st part of my post...works a treat.

Get healing bro!!

• Like 2

hey savage thanx 4 the info mate! the pachy is lookin not bad? the rot dried up and the top of the plant is still hard and showin no signs of die back!!!! if it looks like caming back or the plant lookin sic i will give your mix ago :)

Let us know how you treated it if it's proven a success!?